We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

1001 xxx To Do Before You Die

interzone55

Likes # 0

I just got a late Christmas gift, if was sent to the wrong house and returned to the post office, but someone in the sorting office recognised my name and eventually it wended it's way to my house.

The present is two books, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die and 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

I was interested to note that both these books are updated with recent releases, but the count remains the same. So this got me thinking, I wonder how they decided which albums and movies where no longer essential enough to warrant your attention before you eventually buy the farm?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Might have been a case of who gave the biggest incentive to be included?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When you buy books like these you're buying other peoples' ideas of what is memorable. I imagine the authors conduct surveys amongst friends and relatives, or trawl the internet for statistics.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

1001 films & 1001 albums seems a tall order for a mere mortal like myself, to take in ...

NB. Marathon Man is one of my favourite films ;0)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's all dependant on whose opinion, or class of sample persons opinion is used for the list.

My top hundred would consist of stuff like The Man In The White Suit, The Lavender Hill MOb, The Third Man. Modern favourites like The Lord of the Rings and Alien would struggle to find a top 100 place.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think you're missing my point, which I must say was never meant to be a serious question.

Both books are by the same author, and in 2010 when he brought the last book out he decided that 1001 movies were so essential you just had to watch them. Now he's updated the book and 7 films from 2011 & 2012 are in it, so 7 films from the previous book are now no longer essential, and you safely avoid them and still remain cool enough not to be sneered at in your favourite over-priced coffee outlet - how did he weed them 7 films out?

By the way, I don't have the last editions, so I have no idea what films were relegated to obscurity

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

OH well - If I had to watch 1001 films I would either live to a couple of thousand years old or I would die of boredom fairly soon.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data