We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jessops in Administration

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

The end of another High Street name?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

It is possible that i was one of those buyers who decided to shop elsewhere ,i went to a Jessops shop locally to enquire about a particular model camera and the service was desultory,granted this was a product superseded by the next model version but all reviews suggested this was the better option ,these reviews were online and varied.

I decided to look online and a shop in Burgess Hill was offering this model at a fantastic price ,undercutting Jessops by a significemt margin but it was also the service which was a factor in my purchase.

It is unfortunate that this outlet has closed but technology waits for no one,Morgan Guarantee ? i remember a few of their shops closed down.

Tech outlets appear to be those most vulnerable to the present economic climate.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Kad60

That company in Burgess Hill was probably Park Cameras. Very good outlet with their own shop. Lots of good reviews of that store.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think that we'll see more manufacturers showrooms appear as the retail shops of the like of Jessops disappear to ensure that we can get a hands on feel before buying.

My town had a Panasonic showroom open a couple of years ago which displays their full range of products including their compact four thirds camera equipment that I adopted about the same time.

Strangely their showroom pricing is way over the top uncompetitive. Is this a case of not having to make a showroom profit as long as the product is purchased somewhere from any Panasonic retailer, shop or web?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - It is interesting that you mention Panasonic. A couple of years ago I wanted a new HD video camcorder. Jessops had just a few models and little stock. Panasonic just up the road had a good range of Panasonic models all in stock. I didn't find their price to be uncompetitive. Sony have a store a few doors away from Panasonic.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just a point of curiosity, but is either Sony or Panasonic or both 'High Street' stores franchised?.

The reason I ask, is that I seem to recall a problem with one of those closing down suddenly in my hometown, and it caused a bit of a stir regarding whose responsibility it was in honouring items?.

The same might apply to Apple High Street stores?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Spuds - from the Panasonic website "Panasonic Stores are independently operated retail stores" - so I guess franchises but I think that Panasonic did pick up the bill when a few went bust last year.

Fairly sure that Sony Centres are franchise too.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"The same might apply to Apple High Street stores?."

It does, Apple calls them 'Premium resellers', but it's the same thing.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

On Kensington High Street, there was (and maybe still is) a Sony Ericsson store. It was (is) run by Carphone Warehouse. There used to be Nokia stores is London and also in Bath and elsewhere - these were also Carphone warehouse.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

So in the future will the manufacturers having to make a subsidised high street appearance for those of us that want to see the product hands on before deciding?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Talking earlier about Sony franchise, I see in today's media reports that a company called Raresupply have ceased trading, and have closed down their four Sony Centres stores which are based in Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln and Leicester. Would appear that about 100 jobs went with that closure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'