We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jessops in Administration

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

The end of another High Street name?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, that's a pity - I liked my local Jessops, the shop will be missed. I recently bought a great Nikon camera from them after a nice lottery win!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They failed change with the wind.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...of change.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just goes to show how a few hours makes all the difference.

On Monday our local newspaper was stating that Jessops had just made an announcement that 15 non-profitable stores were to close, and that the staff would be offered alternative employment within the group.

" Jessops remains committed to the high street and this is part of a programme to improve the quality of Jessops estate".

I know very recently that they have been spending on refurbishment of at least one new relocation store, with ten more to follow, which will bring the total number of store revamps to 90 out of 180 by the end of this year.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Shame, they were always a good shop with that rare thing staff with knowledge or if the Saturday girl/boy did not know they would always ask. I bought a couple of cameras from them last year at a reasonable price.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

How many online stores are not paying their tax (like amazon) while British names like Jacobs who disappeared last year and Jessops now struggle. I hope that Jessops manage to survive. Trouble is they will have hoards of people demanding goods at massive reductions and that won't help.

I am a keen photographer and buy quite a bit of gear from Jessops. I like being able to test out gear before I buy. I like being able to speak to someone rather than rely on photographic forums where they often review cameras and lenses by pixel peeping which isn't the most reliable way of looking at how good a camera or lens is. Hopefully someone does rescue them. But there aren't any large groups left.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The biggest problem with Jessops was their popularity.

Every time I went in my local store it was a wait of fifteen to twenty minutes to get served by their very helpful and knowledgeable staff.

That was mid-week, never tried weekends, or around Christmas time.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its been on the cards for some years

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Its been on the cards for some years

That's right. They were planning a share issue about 10 years ago, which was cancelled at the last minute. At the time I'd planned to invest but it wasn't to be.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Part of the problem was punters using the 'very knowledgeable staff' to answer questions, and getting to handle the goods, before going home and buying the same camera on-line, cheaper.

They won't be the last retailer to suffer this, and we are all to blame.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers