We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Global warming - or not!

Flak999

Likes # 0

"There will be no further warming of the planet over the next five years, the Met Office has forecast. The downgrading of its predictions for the effects of climate change means that by 2017 there is projected to have been no global increase in temperature for almost 20 years."

Global warming is over for five years, says Met Office

I can't read the whole article as it's behind the pay wall, but it looks like all the doom-sayers will have to revise their predictions! At last I can sleep easy again every time I fill up the A5 with Shell Vpower.

Now where's my stock of incandescent light bulbs! ;-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

The big ten Carbon emitters are (in order of magnitude):-

China, USA, India, Russia, Japan, Germany, Canada, South Korea, Iran, United Kingdom

From which you'll gather that it's not such a great idea to go blaming developing countries when the developed countries (including us)are among the worst offenders.

The size of a problem isn't a justification for saying that there's no point in doing anything - history is full of examples of the human race triumphing in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. I wouldn't like my grandchildren and great grandchildren, when they are lumbered with a massive environmental crisis, to think that I had seen it coming and sat around doing nothing. If I can make even a tiny contribution to a solution I will, for their sake, if for no other reason.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I was really meaning the rotational spin of the Earth on its axis. It seems that the global redistrubution of melted ice water from the Ice Caps and other upheavals like underwater earthquakes can affect the angular momentum and hence slow down or speed up the spin rate.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

*"it's entirely possible that the warming is a natural process, a cyclical thing."*

And that's the problem isn't it? We don't know! There are a lot of people on both sides of the debate pontificating at great length about the various merits and demerits of the science, but no one can say with any degree of certainty that the increase in global temperatures is as a direct result of man made causes .

As you said earlier the climate is warming, that much is beyond doubt. I don't think anybody other than a few flat earthers would dispute that, but and it's a big but if the warming we are witnessing and the slow down in that warming forecast by the MetOffice where they state:

"that by 2017 there is projected to have been no global increase in temperature for almost 20 years."

is a s a direct result of cyclical changes that the planet goes through over the millennia, then we are spending billions and effecting fundamental changes on peoples lives and living standards which are ultimately pointless because nothing that we do will have any appreciable effect on the climate.

If this were to be the case would it not be the biggest man made mistake ever perpetrated by the human race upon itself?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Flak999

I have said this many times on this forum in relation to the subject.

Forget altogether about global warming/climate change and ask the questions; Are we polluting the planet and should we do something about that? the answer to both is a resounding yes.

if the politicians and "environmentalists" concentrated on that fact many many more people would embrace the fact that we need to do something about it.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

You're obviously sold on the man made effect on global warming, that's fair enough. I take the opposite view however, I believe that the warming we are seeing is down to cyclical change.

Which one of us is right? Only time will tell I guess! Don't get me wrong I'm not of the opinion that we just go on polluting the planet ad infinitum, lets do things as cleanly as we can. But I do not believe in fundamentally changing the lives and living standards of everybody on the basis of an unproven theory!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just type or Paste into Google "What is Gravity" Yes some idiot will say the apple that Isac Newton talked about, it dropped to the ground. If you read and click on some links You will learn how stupid man really is, and how much he knows and does not know.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

woodchip - gravity, 'tis a funny thing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Aitchbee If they cannot understand it how can we Dumbo's come even near to!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"Yes some idiot will say the apple that Isac Newton talked about, it dropped to the ground. If you read and click on some links You will learn how stupid man really is, and how much he knows and does not know."

The apple falling to the ground reference isn't made by "some idiot" - the apple story is true,and there's a document in the archive of the Royal Society that proves it.

I don't think anyone has suggested that scientists know all about gravity, but they know an awful lot, and to refer to mankind as "stupid" is in itself a stupid remark to make.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...