We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which newspaper do you read and why

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I would like to know which newspapers other members read. I buy the Daily Mail but it is all doom and gloom. Aside from that it seems to be getting more like the Sun if you consider that to be a newspaper.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

What scares me is that people buy the Daily Mail and actually believe what's in there, it's a most hateful journal and reminds of the US hate preachers like Alex Jones who was quite rightly torn apart by Piers Morgan on TV the other day

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

That's a strong statement alan14, can you explain your reasoning. Also can we believe what is written in any newspaper they all seem to be biased but do they actually print lies.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If you read the Daily Mail and believed it you would think that the country is over run by illegal immigrants who are all claiming thousands in benefits.

The whole paper reads as if it was complied from the interminable chain emails we all get

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

alan 14

Your response is exactly what I expected and why I was dubious in admitting reading the paper you clearly despise. Please do not assume that readers believe all they read in any newspaper. You are welcome to prefer the Guardian. At least we agree on the Sunday Times!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I can see that I am in a minority here. We take the Times and the Telegraph for various reasons. The Mail is given to us on Tuesday for the Medical Info. I used to take the Observer but it became quite boring, we also tried the Independent but quickly found that it wasn't.

I watch/listen to the BBC News and I am well aware of the bias in all news formats but it is a case of filtering what is available and trying to keep an open mind. I find Channel Four news good.

Many people seem to be anti the Mail - most seem to be Guardian readers. It is of note that with such a left wing swell in this country the Left Wing papers are in financial trouble that is to say - the Guardian,The Independent and the Financial Times.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

That's the first time I've ever seen the words Left Wing & Financial Times in the same sentence.

The Guardian is in deep trouble, and it's of it's own making, because they put the whole content of the paper online for all to see FOC. I used to buy it every day, but the content became less & less compelling, so now I rarely buy a paper mid-week, and if I do it'll be the Guardian or the Times, whichever has the most eye catching cover.

Also, it's not just left wingers that have an axe to grind with the Mail, read some of the comments to stories online, it's quite entertaining...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I prefer the Mail to other papers, but now only buy it on Saturday for the TV magazine. I used to like reading the question and answers section. and the lost and found section where people are sometimes re-united with old friends or family etc., from years ago.

All newspapers are full of a certain amount of rubbish but to me the Mirror and the Sun seem to carry more tripe than most. (Yes you used to be able to buy tripe in chip shops in Liverpool, so I assume other areas also sold it before the Chinese took over).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can still buy tripe on our market, but I don't think it's still run by the Fosdykes.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I've seen (I won't say bought) copies of the Daily Mail on occasions - good puzzle pages but where on earth do they find all the crap to fill it every day?

I've skipped through various articles whilst using it to to create firelighters to light the fire. It looks very female orientated.

I also remember the slogan "Every woman needs her Daily Mail" (or something like that) so I always assumed it was a womans newspaper.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I've skipped through various articles whilst using it to to create firelighters..."

That's as lame an excuse as lame excuses come for knowing what they print!

It makes the old 'The dog ate my homework Sir', one carry great credibility:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK