We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Coincidental meetings in far flung places, anyone?

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of comments in the forum name thread regarding meeting people you know in highly unexpected places, prompted a memory of mine for the same thing. I was a shop floor supervisor at the time at my place of work in Birmingham, and one of operatives on my section was currently off sick and had been for a couple of weeks.

I took a short break to Butlins in Minehead and was happily enjoying a stroll in the sun along the pier, and right at the very end of Minehead pier, there was my missing fella sitting happily fishing with his son. To say he was surprised and rather alarmed to see me is an understatement. I didn't follow through with anything, but surprise, surprise he turned up for work the next Monday.

I'm just curious as I'm sure some of the more well traveled members here have undoubtedly had similar, and possibly more extreme meetings.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I've probably met thousands of people through work, sport and social circles and I've been to dozens of places abroad and scores of places in the UK and only twice met anyone I know when somewhere out of the ordinary for me....I'm afraid I'm missing that point completely, as that is exactly what I would expect as 'normal'. That's why I'm finding it interesting with the degree of extra-ordinary locations where some of these meetings have occurred, that are not only a strange place to be for the respective person, but possibly a strange place to be for a UK citizen maybe?

Funny how these things happen.

Like this post  
hssutton

Likes # 0

I've had two such encounters. The first when walking out of Porlamar airport, Margarita I bumped into a family who lived a few doors away from me. On the second occasion I had flown from Humberside airport to Schiphol airport. I was sat in the departure lounge awaiting a flight to Nairobi when in walked friends from Spain who where en route to Mombasa

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was asked by a friend a health and safety consultant to help him do an assessment at Shepperton studios. This was a spur of the moment thing but I agreed. Only had some loose paper and a pen, nothing to support it which is difficult if you have do drawings. I saw a bit of hardboard on the floor which would be ideal so I tapped a guy on the shoulder to ask if I could use it and when he turned round we were both a bit surprised, it was my favorite uncle that I had not seen for about 20yrs. A coincidence in itself but he then told me he was filming in Malta in a few weeks time, I was going to Malta on holiday so we were able to meet up again. One of the nicer chance encounters.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

In the SCI FI film Solaris [2003 version], the space station crew orbiting a mysterious planet ... bump into Superstar George Clooney ... how odd is that?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014