We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Elderly Care becoming a nuisance?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

These sort of media reports seem to be on the increase http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/uk/article/elderly-betrayed-over-social-care/74239/

What's your views?.

Around my neck of the woods, quite a number of care homes have come in for some bad publicity recently, possibly due to increased inspection visits by authorities like the Quality Care Commission?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

On the whole I manage to look after myself. But I have noticed that when looking for medical assistance I do not get the support that I got when I was younger. There is always that feeling of being ignored and fobbed off, both in hospitals and at the local GP's surgery. It may be only imagination but other oldies have told me they get the same feeling.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't believe it's your imagination, my mum is fed up of being ignored - Dr's (95% of them) we have seen during last 14 months ignore her and 'explain' everything to me even tho' she's asked the question(s). It gets embarrassing when I have to keep reminding them to talk to mum.

Even happened at the Opticians last week, he came out to me in the waiting room and carefully explained to me that "she does not have any noticeable changes and she won't need a new prescription, but of course at her age... blah blah blah..." Mum was spitting feathers when we came out ;)

Sad thing is, if my son accompanies me then they talk to him and ignore me..

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I often watch the Parliament program on FreeView, and a few months ago, the then CEO of the QCC was given a bit of a roasting by the Select Committee she was being interviewed by. It came to the point that the Select Committee were in the view that the QCC was 'not fit for purpose'. Seeing the recent reports about increased visits and reports etc, it would appear that the Select Committee comments have or are being acted upon?.

But it does make you think, if things had gone un-noticed, and had the 'watchdog' not made improvements, what would the public be hearing about next?.

I note in yesterdays media, that hospital management teams are coming under scrutiny, and the government are thinking about implementing stricter controls and penalties, especially since a recent alarming report was published on one particular hospital trust on their care or lack off procedures or policy.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

lotvic. I suppose it would be funny if it wasn't so damn stupid and annoying. Your mum should have given them a roasting.

I imagine it is the same as disabled people when people talk over them too.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bing.alau, confrontation this Thursday :) going for results of tests and what treatment is proposed. I've strict instructions not to make eye contact - my gaze and any comments will be firmly targeted to mum. At the opticians I was sorely tempted to say 'She doesn't take sugar' (don't know if you heard that line from a tv docm when a person in a wheelchair said he was fed up with people asking his companion "does he take sugar?")

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think we must be lucky. Whenever I go to the Health Centre I am greeted by name, as I am in the chemist and dentist, and there is usually an enquiry as to how my wife is.

Couple of examples - Health Centre (no eating and drinking blood test)"How are you today?"

"I'm suffering chronic caffeine deficiency"

"Oh Gosh, we'd better get you in straight away then!" (and they did!)

Dentist (this very morning asking for a routine NHS check up) "Ah, now you like to come in around noon so that you can go on to Rockies (golf club restaurant) for lunch. 12.25 OK?"

Chemist, repeat prescription by phone " I may not be able to pick it up for a few days as I'm a bit rough at the moment"

"That's OK. I'll drop it off for you on my way home"

Same when I go in for a day operation (and they've never met my wife, but they know I am a carer), and long chats about how the boy is getting on in his latest deployment to Afghanistan (not mine, one of theirs).

When my wife makes one of her infrequent visits to the Stroke Unit she left in 1998 they still greet her by name and the nurses, physios and OTs will come up from the wards to see her, as does the medical team if they're free.

In only one hospital, not in my local health area but in Dundee, have I ever been treated as anything other than the most important person in their world at that particular moment.

The system does work, sometimes.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Teenagers are more of a nuisance but that seems to be OK. The elderly seem to be disregarded but they are still people that have lived their lives and they deserve more respect. The young of today will one day be old.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I'll tick this, but if anyone wants to add, then please do so.

Like this post  
spider9

Likes # 0

It's sad, but a fact of life, that when resources are limited there has to be prioritising - and a 'young' life will always be more worthy than an 'old' one where attention and support is required.

Ask anyone with kids if the situation arose where there had to be a choice between saving a young person or an old and it would be an obvious choice. This equally applies to resources in health, so, as we get old, we should maybe expect previous 'support' to be less forthcoming.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...