We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best way to clean badly tarnished silver candlesticks

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Using baking soda, boiling water and tinfoil is advocated on many of the searches I have made but it sounds rather harsh! Have any forum members tried this rather drastic approach or have you a better, safer way to restore these back to their original splendour?

click here click here

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Goddards silver dip has been around for years and should be available in hardware stores.

Who hasn't been doing their housework lately! It was a monthly job when I used for visit my dear MIL.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

wiz-king I hold my hand up, I haven't cleaned them for ages hence the plea ;o}

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas. I think it may depend on whether the candlesticks are solid silver or plated. I imagine if they are solid silver they could be cleaned with any old silver polish. But silver plate will surely wear off with polishing. That's my theory anyway. As wiz-king has already said I used to use use Goddard's Silver Dip for my silver plated stuff. All now sadly gone to charity shops. Never able to afford anything solid silver.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau they are solid silver with 1933 London hallmarks, they were Fran's parents who gave them to us many moons ago as a wedding present.

I make a half-hearted attempt at cleaning them now and again but it is a job I don't like and aways find an excuse to leave them 'just a little longer' but I shall be given my marching orders if I leave them much longer!!

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Jeweller's rouge.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

One of those small, mains-powered, hand held steamer gizmos that can point a powerful concentrated jet of steam [to a variety of dirty surfaces],plus plenty of 'elbow grease', might do the trick. It might take for ages though!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate Na2CO3.10H2O + Al

To clean solid silver line a plastic bowl with aluminium foil, shiny side up. (other side has a thin coating of Aluminium oxide due to contact with the air)

Add a cup full of soda crystals in the bowl and enough hot water to cover the items.

Using rubber gloves, drop in the cutlery wait a couple of minutes the silver oxide will react with the aluminium foil and soda crystals and the item will brighten up as the oxygen is removed from the silver oxide no silver is lost from the item.

Sodium and aluminium is more reactive than silver it will therefore steal the oxygen from the silver oxide.

Remove item and rinse off the remaining soda under a warm water.

Polish up with a cloth.

Should have watched the Christmas lectures (last one) :0)

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

I too have used the baking soda/aluminium foil method on some small solid silver items several years ago, I see they are just beginning to tarnish again, shall have to repeat...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I respectfully suggest that Goddard's Silver Dip has got to be an easier method of doing it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Tell the maid to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...