We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's Been A Nice Day Today

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just got back from a very enjoyable day out. Drove the fifteen or so miles to Liverpool Town centre. Bought tickets for the Philharmonic Hall in May when the Royal Marines Band will be there for the Battle of the Atlantic celebrations. (70 years ago). Then carried on to Otterspool Promenade for a long walk and a picnic on a bench overlooking North Wales and the Wirral peninsula. The weather was glorious and the sun quite warm, people were out waking, cycling and running and there was a general atmosphere of fun with lots of children on their new bikes and scooters etc.

Us poor pensioners know how to live it up!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm surprised you could see the north Wales peninsula. I haven't felt the sun for many weeks. Glad you had a great day out.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Could see North Wales and also the Wirral Peninsula which is in England. We've had a couple of semi decent days weather wise this year so far. Not bad out of five. Let's hope that average keeps up.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau,

I do agree old pal, the weather here is just like a Spring day and everyone is out and about. I stood at the end of the village and, looking west could see The Cheviot still with snow, looking north Lindisfarne was basking in the weak sunshine and probably sinking under the weight of pre-season tourists, finally looking east I could make out Bamburgh Castle looking imposing as ever. This brings to mind a poem, written by John Dryden, I learned in my youth and which I can relate to.

"How blessed is he, who leads a country life,

Unvexed with anxious cares and void of strife!

Who studying peace, and shunning civil rage,

Enjoy'd his youth, and now enjoys his age."

We certainly can't complain about the weather so far in 2013, let's hope it continues.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Certainly warm for the start of January lets enjoy it!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas

I'm not really living in the country but do live on the posh side of Liverpool. I'm also in a bungalow but from the attic window I can see North Wales on a good day.

I was brought up as an evacuee in the countryside of Shropshire, and I also have lived in wonderful country areas such as Dartmoor so I can relate to your poem. But I also think country life in those far off days were much less hectic than they are now.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Check your fruit and other trees, mine are already in bud, and that even after a few frosty nights?.

Is Mother Nature working overtime, or trying to tell us something?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Don't blame me for this as I watched the program on TV.

Liverpool was actually the capital of Wales at one time.Or maybe it was north Wales one of the two.

Wonder if that still classes them as Welsh.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

We have had similar weather up here in the far north. There are buds on the trees, and today I picked a daisy from the garden for LHO. Aren't I a good boy!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Liverpool? Did your car still have its wheels when you got back to it?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

onthelimit 1

I think you are over the limit with the same old groaners. Liverpool is no different than other cities for that kind of petty crime. It never has been either, but for some reason or other TV liked to have somewhere to run down. It happened to pick on Liverpool. I suggest you get a few books and read all about this fair city. who knows even someone as thick as you may become enlightened!

Jock1e. Yes it is said that Liverpool was once the capital of Wales. It has also been said to be the capital of Ireland, because of all the Irish who settled here probably. Most of us Scousers can boast an Irish Grandparent. I certainly can, along with a Scottish one. Maybe we were also once the capital of Scotland?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September