We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

50p charge to ring 999

Algerian peter

Likes # 0

David Hamilton, not the small DJ chap but Tayside Police Federation secretary. Recommends a 50p call charge on all 999 calls to cut down on "the sheer volume of emergency calls being made and his idea would make sure only those with “real emergencies” dialled 999."

Would this reduce the number of hoax or stupid calls. Would Tayside police get a share of the premium rate number revenue?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I believe that the 999 operators now get an automatic notification of the number and postcode location of landline calls. I heard it when I had occasion to use it last year.

I heard something like " Virgin telecom number XXXXXX Postcode XXX" just before the operator answered.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT

You're right - I used the service myself a few months ago, and I heard the same thing.

Perhaps I should have qualified my comment about landlines - a big problem apart from hoax calls is the number of calls that are non-emergency in nature. When my son worked in a large hospital A&E department during his university days he was told all kinds of stories by ambulance drivers. They get lots of 'I have a nasty paper cut in my finger' type calls.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Devon & Cornwall Police have had stupid 999 calls BBC News.

There is also a Freedom of Information report about the barring of calls from certain pre-paid mobile phones Devon & Cornwall Police report pdf format

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that such a charge would make little difference to the number of Hoax/Stupid Calls made.

The Caller is rarely the Payer of the Phone's bill and/or 50p Charge is so divorced from the actual Call Date, that He/She is unlikely to be particularly bothered by such a Charge.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Is this an idea put forward and/or stemming from GP practices using different ways and charges for telephone communications?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

All calls to 999 and to any other not so much of an emergency lines should be free, if you charge people for the not so urgent things then many will call 999 instead. The idea that charging 50p to phone emergency services will reduce the number of calls is questionable. Why not make it a tenner, that should dramatically reduce the number of calls overnight. 50p the thin end of the wedge as someone posted earlier. There will always be morons that will make hoax calls and abuse the system but it is there for the majority of us that do not. What if someone is in trouble in a country lane and has no credit on his phone. Now you will say calls from mobiles and phone boxes will be free so the only people that pay will be using a landline which is easily traceable so not likely be used for hoaxes so why should they have to pay when the time wasters dont.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

We're putting in a premium rate line at work to reduce the number of calls to our tech support line.

We've always had a well regarded tech support service (if I do say so myself) and it's one of the reason we've won the distributor of the year award for the last 5 years. Because we're so good at our jobs, and have a standard geographic number, we get lots of calls for support from our competitors' customers. So in an effort to reduce calls we're going to start charging from february, and I can see lots of complaints from genuine customers who will get stung.

I'm glad I'm leaving at the end of this month...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Many [premium] helpline numbers that start 0906 xxxxxxx will charge you 60p per minute, even if you don't get thru' to a human being at the other end.(The music that is heard over the telephone line, whilst waiting to connect, is what you are paying for).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September