We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

50p charge to ring 999

Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

David Hamilton, not the small DJ chap but Tayside Police Federation secretary. Recommends a 50p call charge on all 999 calls to cut down on "the sheer volume of emergency calls being made and his idea would make sure only those with “real emergencies” dialled 999."

Would this reduce the number of hoax or stupid calls. Would Tayside police get a share of the premium rate number revenue?

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I'd be quite happy to pay a few quid in a real emergency.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

And you see a car crash, there's a working payphone, but you don't have change.

Would they accept reverse charges do you think?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's the-thin-edge-of-the-wedge ... next thing will be "our operators are busy" and some fancy Z-Cars music will get played, then after a minute or two of holding on, you'll find that you've racked up a phone bill for X amounts of pounds.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee. I think you are probably right. But I hope they can play a different tune than Everton's signature tune. Most phone music seems like a funeral dirge to me. You can hear the meter ticking up the pennies as you wait and the music goes around in a continuous loop.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Now I know there's a winter silly season...

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I disagree. Enough people cross to the other side of the road as it is. Introduce a charge and that will make matters worse.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

The article stats that those would have to pay a "premium rate" for services but would those services be "premium"...hmmmmm....the more you pay the better the service i presume.

Would this be a local call or outsourced via India or Mongolia.??

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

For information, in case anyone hasn't heard about it, the NHS Direct number 0845 4647 is being replaced by 111 for non emergency/advice calls. Its not available in all areas yet but all the information is here

NHS 111 phone number

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Abuse of the 999 service is widespread and huge - there can be no doubt that something needs to be done, and the suggestion made by David Hamilton has some merit as a deterrent as far as calls from landlines are concerned.

The problem might be that large numbers of hoax calls are made from payphones and mobiles, and those calls are free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......