We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

The whole idea is to limit the payment to those who really need it. The remainder of the budget could then fund help with care home costs.

If you own your own home and wish to pass it on, or part of the value. What would you rather have £200 for 20 years totaling £4,000 that is just a bonus to some. Or possibly having to sell your home and use the proceeds to fund care home fees if you were unfortunate to have to go into one. You would have to contribute but there would be a limit, there is no limit at the moment. You could spend all your assets to a care home.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

N47 - as I live alone, [and always will], I would be happy to use the money that my house is worth to pay for care ... if need be. But must be french Au Pair female < 25 ;O}

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Lotvic, I agree with you in principle but there will be no savings on administration or anything else it will just be wasted by the government on something else, probably their expenses.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

N47. I like to think that it makes up for the 25 pence a week increase, which I got when I reached 80 years of age. A sort of booster-up of that miserable pittance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its already been cut back by 100 pounds for a lot of pensions

The winter fuel allowance makes a big difference to some between freezing and being mildly comfortable.

A lot of pensioners don't know about or understand about how to claim, pension credit and some are too proud to claim it even if they need it.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Absolutely should be scrapped..we are living in a globally warming world,buy a fur coat.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I agree with you fruitbat, I don't need it either but if it wasn't wasted on us it would only be wasted on something else, should go to those that need it but that is not the way it works unfortunately.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Should have replied to fourm member not fruitbat appologies

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

kad60

Thank you for your ludicrous contribution.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, kad60, I could not even be bothered with that inane remark, idiot!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia