We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"..who has worked and paid NI for 30 years.."

That's only a recent thing. I had to put in 44 years to get mine, as have many pensioners.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4198299/winter-fuel-allowance-should-be-scrapped/?ob=datea&pn=4#ixzz2H7iTFJXv

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good point BT, it is like when you visit the doctor and they tell you how expensive your medication is as if you have not already paid in advance for it over the last 40 or 50 years.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Seems like it is a crime to want something back unless of course you have paid nothing then it is your entitlement.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

BT, that's a good point, I had to put in more than 30 years as well to get 100% state pension.

Statistics, Love 'em or hate 'em: If you had 2 single pensioners - both receiving £142.70p per week - one claiming a 50% state pension + pension credit and the other claiming 26% state pension + pension credit, then their average income from state pension would be 38%.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

A couple of posts refer to refusing to accept the winter fuel allowance. I am not aware of this option. What is the procedure?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Cheques/BACS may be sent to me..

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

bumpkin "Seems like it is a crime to want something back"**

I was under the impression that National Insurance was what it says - insurance.

I suppose that you write and complain to your house/car insurers when they don't give refunds at the end of each year??

The idea of the NI scheme was that those fortunate enough, or to be lucky enough, never to fall on hard times are prepared to contribute towards those that cannot.

All 'insurance' works on the same principles, some groups pay for the others needs. Personally if someone needs expensive heart surgery or cancer treatment and I don't - then I consider myself lucky not to be claiming that particular largesse courtesy of the taxpayer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice that there as been mention of means testing and also an increase on Saga holidays, but as anyone thought deeper into this?.

Perhaps some of the more wealthy, might consider spending some of their ill gotten gains on themselves, before letting the government decide on how their nest egg should be spent?.

Regarding means testing, the government did an exercise about six years ago, which lasted for about four years. Pensioner's were receiving an annual letter informing them that the government had surplus unclaimed funds available, that people were not claiming, and it was their 'rights' to do so. The only problem was that it all became a catch 22 situation, because many people were unable to actually claim, because they were slightly over the 'wealth or poverty' line in the reckoning. It took the government four years to realise the administration costs were outweighing any funds being actually paid out. So somewhere, there are still surplus unclaimed money about?.

Pension credits have also been mentioned. I know of one person who gets a pension plus pays no council tax, yet still complains that they do not get enough from the state. That person left school, got married, produced two children, became a full time mother and housewife, and as never took up full time employment throughout her life. Do I feel annoyed about that, yes I do, because I have paid all my dues throughout my life, and I feel as though I am still reaping far less than I paid, yet others have paid nothing?.

Winter fuel allowance, plus the £10 Christmas bonus as been a godsend for some, and lets hope it remains so. Those that do not want it have the choice of refusal or giving it away to their chosen charity perhaps?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Spider9, I did not ask for anything back it was offered. To use your analogy if your car insurer offered you a refund or discount would you refuse it? I agree with you on the NHS issue, the less I need to use it the happier I am however much I have paid in.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds "That person left school, got married, produced two children, became a full time mother and housewife, and as never took up full time employment throughout her life"

You say she 'as' never worked - what's wrong with that? Is it a requirement that all women go out to work, even if their husband's income is sufficient for the family?

"I feel as though I am still reaping far less than I paid"

Therein lies the rub, you feel the 'Insurance' is simply a saving scheme , so what you pay in you get back. That would be a ridiculous situation, and defeats the whole notion of 'insurance'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......