We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I wonder how many pensioners refuse to accept the winter fuel payment.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fourm member, Errr, no, - my figure of 18.5% of income spent on Fuel bill for a single pensioner who has worked and paid NI and has a state pension plus means-tested Pension Credit or is only on Pension Credit is correct.

If you haven't paid or been credited with NI you don't qualify for a state pension. But you do qualify for Pension Credit of £142.70

So whether you've worked and paid NI or never worked you still get a basic total £142.70p

When you say "On average state pension makes up only 38% of total income (down from 53% in 1977)"

Do those figures include or separately list those who are not on a State Pension and are only on Pension Credit?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I am on PC and when the fuel allowance is paid into my bank its used to top up my oil tank and I am very grateful for it,I usually add a £140-£170 for 500 or 600 ltrs,its a boon to me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, so really all you are saying is I'm correct (which I already knew)

Can you answer my question that I asked in my post of at 1:58PM with a clearer breakdown of figures/percentages.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

What's that old saying enter link description here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, "But that is the minority" where did you find that information so that I may look at it? As you have already found it, it would be churlish of you to expect me to plough through endless .pdfs looking for it.

I'm only trying to work out your %'s that you quoted, because not everyone gets a state pension - those not claiming it with a private income and those on only Pension Credit.

By my reckoning the statistics you quote at 1:23PM mean that 62% of income is not state pension. Does that 62% include Pension Credit?

If so then for someone on full state pension + pension credit means that approx 75% of their income is state pension and 25% is not state pension.

Taken further it alters the overall wealth/income picture quite considerably.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It also means that for someone on 10% state pension + pension credit, 90% of their income is not state pension and would be included in the 62% of the statistics you quoted at 1:23PM

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"..who has worked and paid NI for 30 years.."

That's only a recent thing. I had to put in 44 years to get mine, as have many pensioners.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4198299/winter-fuel-allowance-should-be-scrapped/?ob=datea&pn=4#ixzz2H7iTFJXv

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good point BT, it is like when you visit the doctor and they tell you how expensive your medication is as if you have not already paid in advance for it over the last 40 or 50 years.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Seems like it is a crime to want something back unless of course you have paid nothing then it is your entitlement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more