We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I believe it would be simpler to incorporate winter fuel allowance with the OAP - still pay it as a lump sum for those who need it in the winter and would not put it on one side. As pensions are taxable, those with a total income above the tax threshold either for 20, 40 or 45% would pay tax on it and the whole system would be easier to administer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, I apologise for not refreshing the page before I posted at 5:34PM which would have enabled me to read your post Today at 5:23PM rendering mine superfluous.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Even though it's a worrying trend at the start of a new year, I find myself in total agreement with your position.

The fuel allowance, and the Xmas bonus and bus passes, should only be available to those in extra need and already claiming other benfits (like tax credit, or whatever).

It is ludicrous that it is automatically paid to many well-off pensioners (and I include myself here) who do not need it.

The arguments that people getting tax credits are 'lazy scroungers etc' is a pathetic one, showing a total lack of any understanding of the system. Similarly the notion that "I've paid into the pot, so I want my share out of it" shows any idea of fairness or helping the needy goes out of the window.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member no but it's statements such as yours that makes it sound like many pensioners are off to the Maldives for holidays because they are rolling in money and as I stated earlier, Saga caters for the over 50's who if I remember properly are not classed as pensioners and not collecting state pension.

And just what % of older people are taking these holidays 2%- 3%

F.E it does not matter if you have to claim or are paid automatically at pension age the winter fuel allowance is not forcibly thrust upon you, if you so want you can refuse to accept it, granted not many people do but it is an option.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

FE:

"Can you explain how you think that governments have made the 'persistent assumption'?"

I had in mind the loss of child benefit if one person earns more than 60k & the loss of your home to fund going into care.

That leaves me thinking that there is a persistent government assumption that the better we work through life for ourselves, the more we are happy to pay for the financially inept that have done nothing for themselves to have an equally comfortable retirement free of financial worry, all paid for from my taxes.

Well I'n not happy to support them without at least having the same benefits as a right!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spider9 tax credits are completely different to the topic that is being discussed on this posting tax credits and are paid to people who are working on low pay with children, not pensioners unless you happen to be enter link description here this man.

And if you do not need it then donate it to one of the many charities that is only too willing to take it from you enter link description here just one of many

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I really hate the self appointed spokes people who trot out meaningless drivel to seem self important. The state pension in the UK is probably the worst in the EU.The fuel allowance was supposed to try and compensate for this (Whoopee). In a few years time so we are led to believe the grandiose New Pension may arrive which will mean that qualifying pensioners will receive a much higher pension for less qualifying years. Present pensioners can lump it at whatever the rate is at the time. So for anyone that is dictating to me that I don't need the Winter fuel allowance then I stick the one fingered salute to them.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member "I really can't tell you how many pensioners holiday in Mauritius as I'm sure you know" so why use it as an example when as you keep saying you only use cold hard facts. " "Pensioners are, in general, substantially better off today and we need to stop portraying all pensioners as poor in order to focus attention on those in our society who are, genuinely, in difficulties."

Brilliant statement, so will you be giving up your fuel allowance and giving it to a charity.

But don't forget that there are many more poor pensioners than better off ones.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

carver

I did say "tax credit, or whatever"

It was just to say that it must be possible to devise a system whereby not every well-off pensioner automatically gets the fuel allowance (and bonus and bus pass).

Surely in these times of austerity there should be some better method of allocating our tax money than giving it back to many who do not really need it - but while Grey Goo, and his ilk, have the 'finger-up' attitude then I suupose it's not likely to happen!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Basic pension is a maximum of £107.45 a week for a single person who has worked and paid NI for 30 years.

The Government pays means-tested Pension Credit. This guarantees a minimum of £142.70 a week for a single pensioner and £217.90 for a couple

So an annual dual fuel bill of £1400 equals £26.92p per week, which is approx 18.5% of income for a single pensioner and 12% of income for a couple.

(and no, I haven't copied and pasted the above, but I did look up the figures for the Pension amounts and the average fuel bill)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015