We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well said carver.

Those that can afford, should retain the right to claim, on account that they have paid for and are providing for the lazy and financially inept to be able to get anything at all.

The rewards for a life time of personal financial competence should not be a painful kick in the... well a hard slap on the face.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

fm

You know where we're generally coming from, it's the persistent assumption by government that those that have been frugal in life, are the ones that should quite happily fund life's cadgers without complaint.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

This country has one of the worst state pensions in Europe.

The couple of hundred a year winter fuel allowance is peanuts, when so much more is wasted elsewhere.

There are many totally reliant on that to have a little warmth. Leave them alone.

Since the utilities were privatised, far from becoming competitive, it's proven to be a national disgrace at the way we're being fleased for energy costs. There is some justification I suppose, as we're now paying the price for years of underinvestment while under government control. But I still wonder if we really do need constant above inflation price increases, particularly when wholesale prices fall!

Concentrate on getting rid of the few hundred useless, toothless quangos like OFGEM for starters. That should save a few million a year.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think the younger element forget that they too will grow old. I worked from the age of fourteen and paid a bigger percentage of my then wage than people do now. I remember a politician telling me I had never had it so good. Funnily enough he was right at the time because I had just had a pay increase in the forces. (which they gave with one hand and took back with the other). However I was satisfied with my lot, because in the forces you tend not to meet the layabouts that are abundant in civvie street.

Leaving the forces is a shock as you then start to meet civilians. what a letdown!

I still worked hard and saved my pennies until eventually I managed to buy my own house. Since then I have needed for nothing because once I bought my place the outgoings dropped and I started seeing my nest egg building up. I can certainly manage without the £300 but my attitude now is "Why should I?" I think I deserve it and I use it for what it was meant for, to help heat my abode throughout the cold months. These old bones feel the cold now more than they used to, and as I get older no doubt it will get worse.

So if I were you youngsters I wouldn't grow any older. It hurts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

To many who receive the winter fuel allowance it comes as a welcome bit of help with fuel costs. To many others it's a useful little windfall. That's something that society has to accept; the alternative is to means-test the payment in some way, and any talk of means-testing pensioners always provokes an uproar.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"the persistent assumption by government that those that have been frugal in life, are the ones that should quite happily fund life's cadgers without complaint."

Can you explain how you think that governments have made the 'persistent assumption'?

How are frugal people funding life's cadgers, and how would you propose to stop it, and still run a welfare state?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member you do know that Saga is for the over FIFTIES that is over 50 years of age, not pensioners but people who are over fifty.

So what has that got to do with the current thread about pensioners who claim winter fuel allowance, one other point you got wrong, if you do not claim the winter fuel allowance you do not have to receive it, I can verify that because this is the first year I have been asked to claim it.

I phoned them up and was told if I did not want to receive the money I was told to return the form with not required written on it, so if you do not want to have the money just phone them and tell them to keep it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

So that you understand the actual situation, this is what the government has to say about the winter fuel allowance:-

"You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit"

Certain people may have to claim, but the vast majority do not.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm said "Winter fuel allowance is not claimed. It is simply paid out."

That's not right, because : www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment:

Usually, you’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:

you were born on or before 5 July 1951 (winter 2012 to 2013 - this date changes every year)

you normally live in the UK throughout the week of 17 to 23 September 2012

You may still be able to get the payment if you live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. You’ll need to fill in a different claim form. You must have a genuine link with the UK to claim from abroad.

You need to claim if you’re not getting a social security benefit (or if you only get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit). You only need to do this once to get paid every year, as long as your circumstances haven’t changed.

There’s a different form for claiming if you’re in the UK or abroad.

Claim if you’re in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

As I said in the post above yours,the vast majority of people who get a state pension will receive the winter fuel allowance automatically - no claiming is involved, and of course the dates quoted will change each year,

The exceptions mentioned in the text you copied and pasted will only apply to a relatively small number of people.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad