We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47.

Likes # 0

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

N47. I like to think that it makes up for the 25 pence a week increase, which I got when I reached 80 years of age. A sort of booster-up of that miserable pittance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its already been cut back by 100 pounds for a lot of pensions

The winter fuel allowance makes a big difference to some between freezing and being mildly comfortable.

A lot of pensioners don't know about or understand about how to claim, pension credit and some are too proud to claim it even if they need it.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Absolutely should be scrapped..we are living in a globally warming world,buy a fur coat.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I agree with you fruitbat, I don't need it either but if it wasn't wasted on us it would only be wasted on something else, should go to those that need it but that is not the way it works unfortunately.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Should have replied to fourm member not fruitbat appologies

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

kad60

Thank you for your ludicrous contribution.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, kad60, I could not even be bothered with that inane remark, idiot!

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 1

As a 68 year old who has paid since 16 all his taxes etal,i have a contract with the government and that includes winter fuel allowance. I still pay taxes on a modest company pension and as my wife has dementia i do a 16/17 hour day 24/7/365 with NO pay,so you see i think i deserve fuel allowance to help us,all us carers save this company billions, if i were to put my wife into care it would cost the government £650+ a week £33,800 a year this puts our £200 a year into perspective doesn't it.Means testing cost more to administer than it saves, a better suggestion is to stop all overseas aid there must be billions wasted.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

mole1944

I am in a similar situation to you. I'm the same age and my wife has a heart problem and had a slight stroke about 5 years ago. I have Diabetes and suffer from Sciatica which means I can't stand for more than about 10 mins, even with pain killers, which seriously restricts what I can do, and how long it takes me. I usually have to do things like washing up in a couple of hits with a sit down in the middle. I have a company pension on which I pay tax and get no extras from the Government. I get the Dependent Relatives allowance for my wife (Taxable) as she is 9 years younger than me, but this is no longer available to new pension claimants, so anyone in a similar situation to us retiring now only gets the basic State Pension, a difference of £57 a week, so for these people the £200 fuel allowance is probably very welcome. I can't say I NEED it but it enables me to keep the house warm without worrying about the cost.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Why should it be means tested, if you do not consider yourself eligible or not in need of it do not claim it.

If you restrict it to certain people on benefits then all you are doing is proving that you get more out of the system if you just rely on the system for every thing.

Why should Bob who decided that working is a mugs game 30 years ago now get a hand out every winter when the old lady who worked until she had to stop but has her own house, paid for from her work now finds that because she has assets of more than £50000 (mainly her house) she can't claim.

The mentality of some people in this country is alarming, you work all your life and you get attacked if you want to claim the same as some one who has never paid any tax in their life, but these same people also like to have a go at the welfare "scrounger" as they call them.

A few months ago some one was going on about free bus passes and how you shouldn't have one if you could afford to pay, but why should I not claim when I pay full council tax, get no other benefit and Joe Blogs who hasn't bothered saving gets every thing free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...