We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Falklands and the BBC Comments

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I have just being looking at a piece on the BBC News Site about the new Argentinian claim to the Falklands.

Having read the comments made by the readers on that site I realise just how sane and sensible this Forum is.

Do people really think like that? The Moderator was kept pretty busy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The British of course claim that Argentina does not have legitimate claim to sovereignty. The FO did not cover itself with glory in 1967. It implied one thing to the UN and Argentina but did not properly disclose that sovereignty was non-negotiable without the islanders agreement something that was not going to happen. As a result Argentina got the wrong impression and this, plus other incorrect signals eg withdrawal of Endurance, eventually led to loss of lives.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

"and what's all this about "freeing the islands from dictatorship"?

Oh come on now FE, you remember General Leopoldo Galtieri dont you? Former President of Argentina at the time of the Falklands war? and leader of the military dictatorship! Death squad, intelligence battalion 601 reported directly to him!

Now I don't know about you but I would call his junta a dictatorship! It was his army and marines which invaded the Falklands.

To be completely frank I don't much care what the Argentinian President has got to say on the matter, and as for the UN what's good for Israel is just as good for us in my opinion, it's a worthless talking shop that achieves nothing. Look at Syria.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...