We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the most reliable laptop company?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

We what to know what you think is the most reliable laptop company out there?

Let us know in our poll and also have your say in the this thread.

Poll: What is the most reliable laptop company?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

What do you mean by most reliable company ... as laptop manufacturers I believe there is not much to choose between them, but where laptop Reliability is concerned I am more inclined to think of firms such as NOVATECH, for both build and Service reliability.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm not sure that I am in a position to give a good answer. In my household we have had 5 laptops over the years all from different manufacturers. When my son visits he brings his Apple Mac. None of them have broken down due to their fault. One did suffer from an excess of wine! One required a replacement battery after 3 years which I regard as normal wear and tear.

If you have had a bad experience then you tend to shout about it.

I have no experience of Asus, Alienware (isn't that Dell too), MSI or Panasonic. I know about Panasonic tough books. But are they more reliable than the other brands?

In short I don't know.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its the luck of the draw - sometimes you get a "Friday afternoon" machine :0(

As most of the components seem to be interchangeable between machines it appears to be the quality of the case that can determine whether people consider a machineto be reliable or not, for instance a bad cases can cause a broken screen if it flexes too much or hinges snap.

Also software problem will give people a wrong impression of machine reliability.

I have 4 laptops:-

I still have a laptop (its bigger than my current desktop)I use for a particular work that was built in the eighties (company no longer in existence), the software will not run on a faster machine, this has a 286 processor.

Still have a good HP running win 98, a Compaq running windows 200 pro, and a 3 or 4 yr old (can't remember which) Toshiba running Vista.

Also had a couple of works IBMs that took a lot of stick over the years.

The Toshiba has "scorch" marks on the wrist rest and I keep having to repair the DC jack.

The HPs have had no problems what so ever.

Having repaired quite a few machines for various people over the years I would steer away from buying myself an Acer or Dell (case quality mostly)

I would buy a HP but think they no longer make laptops?

Or would go for another Toshiba (liked the look of them when browsing in John Lewis the other day).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

PS I suspect that some of the people who could give a good answer to this are the managers/customer service reps of large retail units who would know which brands are returned with faults most often. Whether they could publicise this though is open to question.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I suppose it's difficult to make this judgement unless you have used more than one make of machine, and even then you're obviously not going to be in a position to compare all the manufacturers. Purchasing decisions are made using all kinds of criteria, and reliability is something you discover after you have used the laptop for a time.

That said, I've used laptops for a long time, and I've tried quite a few different makes. My stand-out favourite is Toshiba. I've owned several, and all of them have been good, solid performers throughout their working lives.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is bit of a non-starter really.

As Quickbeam says, this is the sort thing we should be asking PCA not the other way around.

I suspect that most of us have owned one or more of the makes listed, but I doubt if any of us, other than professionals, have owned all of them, let alone owned them long enough to form an objective opinion on reliability.

I also think that most of us could produce a horror story about one of the makes, against all other opinion (in my case Toshiba), and a tale of legendary reliability about one of the 0thers.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

I agree with FruitBat that it depends what you mean by reliability. I have had several Dell laptops and the units have suffered zero component failures. However, the output lead from the power block has cracked to reveal the screen, a couple of times. Of course, that may be the way that the power blocks have been handled over time and/or the cable wrapped.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

In response to Quickbeam's initial post, one of the questions we get asked most often is 'what's a reliable brand of laptop?' Fairly straightforward, you would think, but actually it is impossible for us to make a judgment. We can tell you which laptops perform the best when they are new, but without using over a long period of time every PC we test - in exactly the same way - we can't in all conscience make a definitive verdict. We do, however, have lots or readers (6 million at the last count). So we thought we'd run a survey to see if we can learn from the experience of our readers.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you look at the failure of electronic components it shape like a U with a very wide base i.e. failure rate high when new (bad components) and at the end of life cycle with virutally no failures in the middle.

So it will fail during its warranty or won't fail until the end of its life expectancy years later (hence my still working 80's laptop.)

If these parts fail its likely to done by an external problem - power unit fails to supply correct voltage and cooks some component - ingress of liquid - shock form being dropped, kicked or hit.

It's the moving parts that tend to fail - case hinges, flexible cables to screen, jack sockets, usb sockets, dvd drives and hard disc drives.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

This poll is more likely to illustrate market share rather than reliability.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite