We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the most reliable laptop company?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

We what to know what you think is the most reliable laptop company out there?

Let us know in our poll and also have your say in the this thread.

Poll: What is the most reliable laptop company?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you look at the failure of electronic components it shape like a U with a very wide base i.e. failure rate high when new (bad components) and at the end of life cycle with virutally no failures in the middle.

So it will fail during its warranty or won't fail until the end of its life expectancy years later (hence my still working 80's laptop.)

If these parts fail its likely to done by an external problem - power unit fails to supply correct voltage and cooks some component - ingress of liquid - shock form being dropped, kicked or hit.

It's the moving parts that tend to fail - case hinges, flexible cables to screen, jack sockets, usb sockets, dvd drives and hard disc drives.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

This poll is more likely to illustrate market share rather than reliability.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Al94 "This poll is more likely to illustrate market share rather than reliability"

Could the two be related?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a very helpful and reasonably priced local repair shop / virus removal expert. He says that he can get parts for Toshiba and Asus easily and finds them reliable and easier to repair than other brands. I have 2 Toshibas; one had a screen broken when sat on by a grandchild and he repaired it in a day or two.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" So we thought we'd run a survey to see if we can learn from the experience of our readers." But the experience of your readers and voters is more than likely to be confined to only a few brands. How can they know what is the most reliable laptop company? The result of this survey will be based on personal opinion only. I've had a good laptop or it broke and I had good customer service which isn't the same as being reliable. Is the availability of spare parts relevant? Or does the ready availability indicate that the parts are more likely to be required? I've already seen a post referring to not buying Acer but I've had an Acer for some years without a snag and so would consider it.

I suggest that about the only way to get a good answer (a reliable answer) is to ask whether you have had a problem with a laptop, how many problems, and its brand. If you have had more than one laptop then to report on the problems with each laptop that you have had. Then to compare these results with market share so that you get an idea about the percentage that might fail and whether it may be a particular problem eg Fujisto Amilo laptops had a lid problem a few years ago, reportedly HP had over-heating. It would be useful to know how long ago the problem occurred. A manufacture that had problems a few years ago may have significantly improved its quality control and vice versa a manufacturer that up to now has had few problems may now be suffering quality control issues.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I can read the question but I am not sure what is being asked for.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Agree with namtas

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Only one laptop, a Toshiba, six years old and no problems. Battery not too good but mainly used on mains.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I have had one laptop in the last 5 years and it's been OK for me. Apart from it breaking down once which fixed itself, and losing the occasional folder of photos, and running out of disc space (even though there's loads of space on D:Recovery), oh, and the power in socket is damaged and the mains lead needs propped up on a hanky, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth - could do with a bit more RAM and a better processor.

Yeah, OK generally but could be better. Was OK when I got it though . . . at least it hasn't died totally (touch wood) yet, or worse still died within guarantee or even worse still, died just after mftrs warranty expired. Phew!!

It's a SAMSUNG.

Anyway, to answer the question properly I reckon I'd need to be keeping an eye on several differently branded laptops over a number of years - so perhaps the question could be worded better?

"What is the most reliable laptop company?"

"In your experience, which of your laptops over the last 5 years has been the most reliable?"

I think Fruit Bat /\0/\ answer page1 @ 12:10 could be a model answer.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Looking at the neatly sliced pie chart now with over 800 votes, I'm inclined to think that it's a chart indicating what makes we currently own. I can't believe that there's over 800 authoritative opinions represented in it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite