We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is London too expensive now

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was born in London and remember my Dad not a wealthy man taking me to the museums, the parks the Tower of London and I could go on and on. I now live just outside of London in Bucks but if I want to take my family of five out for a day in London it will be hundreds of pounds.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

onthelimit, yeah that sounds about right for the time. So now it is fairly cheap by comparison at £6.50 a gallon.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You guys must be quite young! I Remember petrol per gallon and cigarettes per 20 both being 2/6d. I used to go to the Science , British, Geological, Natural History Museums very frequently in about 1946 - 49 - I think the Underground fare was about 6d (2.5p). First wage in 1955 was £10 per week. Kew Gardens had a sliding slot payment that took old pennies (I thought it was 2d). I well remember that in the early '50's £1000 per year was considered a "bank managers" salary! I used to walk to school aged 4 in wartime with a friend (no parents) and went to museums etc with a cousin on our own at age 9 or so....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

john bunyan - you were well off on £10 per week. Naval ratings only got £10 per week in 1966.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first wage was £10.56 for 56 hours in 1972. After 50p a week pocket money I was a millionaire!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell In 1955 I got 28 shillings a week as a Marine, rising to the huge amount of £3.92 as a 2nd Lt in 1957. My £10 in 1959 did not of course include food and accommodation so in fact I saved enough for a motor bike on the £3.50 as we were on operations with no need or chance to spend money....

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Luxury John luxury or are we doing a remake of the famous Monty Python sketch if anyone remembers it

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This one bumpkin?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first pint of beer was 18p going up 1/2p at a time to 20p, then it rocketed up to 21p.

The biggest shock in that was not getting any change from a quid after a decent night out when I returned home to my shoebox!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and my first gallon of petrol was 54p (that's a whole lot of 4.5 litres now), the same as a BSM driving lesson in '74.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Brilliant Quickbeam, that was it exactly just hope some of the others watch it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures