We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is London too expensive now

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was born in London and remember my Dad not a wealthy man taking me to the museums, the parks the Tower of London and I could go on and on. I now live just outside of London in Bucks but if I want to take my family of five out for a day in London it will be hundreds of pounds.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 1

Get yourself an Oyster Card, and a day out in London shouldn't cost the Earth. Bring some sandwiches. Go to all the free world-class museums and galleries, walk around a park or two, stroll along the river.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As fourm member has said there are many wonderful places in London you can visit for free and the walk along the south bank from Westminster Bridge to Southwark Bridge is great.

The biggest disappiontment for me is that having visited many capital cities in Europe and beyond it is only in London that I have been required to pay to enter the main churches. Westminster Abbey costs £16 and St Pauls £15.

Is London too expensive? Not for me, it is on a par with Paris, Rome, New York and better value than many more.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fourm member, where do I get hundreds of pounds from. Fares there and back £90, Tower £100, London eye £100, bit of lunch £60 and another £80 if we want to look round a church. As bremner says it is on a par with Paris, Rome, New york, if that is not expensive then what is. As pointed out by others it would seem that we could have a decent day out at reasonable cost if I did a bit of research and used my imagination rather than a credit card. Thanks for your comments, I am just getting cynical.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bumpkin - How many in the party? You can get a hearty lunch in London for £5 each at Westminster Central Hall and which has free tours.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Some interesting responses and ideas. I need to be a bit more positive it seems.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

bumpkin. Come up to Liverpool it's nicer and may cost less.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I used to go up the Monument quite often as a teenager, is it still free. Could do with a lift from what I can recall of it :-)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

We used to buy a ticket called Red Rover, it was half a crown and you could go anywhere you wanted in London and around, did it many times. Anyone remember them.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fourm member, I remember petrol at 5 bob a gallon (25p for the metric generation)and dad moaning about how dear it was. Everything is relative I suppose. For donkeys years it was a penny to get into Kew Gardens, how much now I wonder. bing.alau Liverpool is great and so are the people but it is 4hrs each way and a hundred quid for the petrol plus an overnight stay if you want time to do anything other than driving.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'I remember petrol at 5 bob a gallon'

Yes, so do I, but my wages were 18 quid a week.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...