We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is London too expensive now

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was born in London and remember my Dad not a wealthy man taking me to the museums, the parks the Tower of London and I could go on and on. I now live just outside of London in Bucks but if I want to take my family of five out for a day in London it will be hundreds of pounds.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Luxury John luxury or are we doing a remake of the famous Monty Python sketch if anyone remembers it

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This one bumpkin?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first pint of beer was 18p going up 1/2p at a time to 20p, then it rocketed up to 21p.

The biggest shock in that was not getting any change from a quid after a decent night out when I returned home to my shoebox!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and my first gallon of petrol was 54p (that's a whole lot of 4.5 litres now), the same as a BSM driving lesson in '74.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Brilliant Quickbeam, that was it exactly just hope some of the others watch it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes, to some extent I was being ironic and had that sketch in mind!!! I bore grandchildren with hardship stories of a child in wartime London, as well! I suppose we should measure prices as a % of the average wage of the period, so some things are dearer and others cheaper. Your thread title is, I believe, true in the main.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, you were ripped off at over 10 bob a gallon, should have gone to Tescos If you spend a million pounds on groceries you get tuppence off the fuel.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'll say I was ripped off, the price of fuel had nearly just doubled in the early '70s fuel crisis.

As a new driver at 17, I was disappointed at being too late to be issued with the fuel rationing coupons of the previous year!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I remember the ration coupons, we did not need them in the end fortunately.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Gave my 1970's petrol ration booklet to the local history society only a few weeks ago' I really must learn to throw stuff away :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow