We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is London too expensive now

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was born in London and remember my Dad not a wealthy man taking me to the museums, the parks the Tower of London and I could go on and on. I now live just outside of London in Bucks but if I want to take my family of five out for a day in London it will be hundreds of pounds.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A family day out anywhere is going to cost you an arm & a leg

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Going to Cardiff near the end of this month. Children's swimming sport and my son was very fast in relay. So the competition goes to Cardiff which means a family of four stays at a Hotel for two nights. Travelling is nothing compared to the two night stay we'll need to pay for.

Things we do.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I realize that, done the Disney route Paris and Florida which I dont mind but these are fantasy. I want to show my kids some of the good things about London, maybe not all good but at least teach them some history. London is geared for tourists,others don't get a chance even if they were born here like myself

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin, never been able to afford Disney whether France or USA. One son went to Paris, the others didn't. Maybe you know some locals that can help?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rave13 they were both expensive and both disappointing so you got it correct,me the fool. Just another con like most things.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 1

Get yourself an Oyster Card, and a day out in London shouldn't cost the Earth. Bring some sandwiches. Go to all the free world-class museums and galleries, walk around a park or two, stroll along the river.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As fourm member has said there are many wonderful places in London you can visit for free and the walk along the south bank from Westminster Bridge to Southwark Bridge is great.

The biggest disappiontment for me is that having visited many capital cities in Europe and beyond it is only in London that I have been required to pay to enter the main churches. Westminster Abbey costs £16 and St Pauls £15.

Is London too expensive? Not for me, it is on a par with Paris, Rome, New York and better value than many more.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fourm member, where do I get hundreds of pounds from. Fares there and back £90, Tower £100, London eye £100, bit of lunch £60 and another £80 if we want to look round a church. As bremner says it is on a par with Paris, Rome, New york, if that is not expensive then what is. As pointed out by others it would seem that we could have a decent day out at reasonable cost if I did a bit of research and used my imagination rather than a credit card. Thanks for your comments, I am just getting cynical.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bumpkin - How many in the party? You can get a hearty lunch in London for £5 each at Westminster Central Hall and which has free tours.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Some interesting responses and ideas. I need to be a bit more positive it seems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......