We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

There should be compulsory eye tests for over 50's

¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

who hold a driving licence. They should be tested every 5 years till they are 60 and then ever 2 years till 70. Then ever year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249550/Almost-6-000-drivers-licences-torn-SEE-road-properly.html

How many do you see with their face pushed right up to the windscreen.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

What there should be is compulsory advanced DRIVING tests for everybody every 3 years.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

most people over 50 wear glasses, therefore they will have yearly eye tests.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Far more important to have psychological testing, im my opinion. Any driver seen wearing a flat tweed cap or reversed baseball cap should immediately be committed. Happy New Year to all.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

marvin42

Perhaps having as a legal requirement, 'P' or 'R' plates displayed for the first twelve months after passing a test should be considered first?.

spider9

I often wear a flat cap, does that mean I should be committed?.

But perhaps taking this a step further, I recall the days when it seemed an offshoot of Bomber Command had got behind a steering wheel, with the caps, gloves and scarves brigade. Perhaps vehicle heating put paid to that, as you don't see much of it nowadays :O)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Failing eyesight is obviously a potential problem.

However, a bigger problem is the ability to process the information that enters the eye.

It's called 'Concentration'

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I like Quickbeam's post at 10.57 I had a good giggle at that. I also think wee eddie is right when he says concentration is the key. WVM also makes a good point about cleaning the windscreen, some vehicles are a disgrace and make me wonder what kind of a house they live in.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Yesterday my wife, who is 83, popped in to the Opticians to make an appointment for an eye test. She described her situation and they insisted on an immediate check by an expert. Result, a thorough check and a letter for a second opinion at the Eye Hospital. Not an emergency but something that needs investigation in the near future.

I know that we are not allowed to advertise but we have found SpecSavers to be excellent for service, reasonable charges and a pleasant professional attitude.

Some people we know who have dodgy eyesight are slow to wear glasses because of vanity - they do not want to look "old". Men are often worse than women.

Bing-alau I will catch you up in four days, at least in age if nothing else.

Best wishes for 2013 to all and sundry.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds *" I often wear a flat cap, does that mean I should be committed?."*

Absolutely, without question.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

On the subject of SpecSavers. 8 years ago I went for my biennial examination. The examiner said I should make an immediate appointment with my doctor to get my cholesterol checked as he could see it was very high just by looking into my eye. When tested by the nurse it was 8.9, changed diet and use lipitor.

For the last 6 years it has been between 3.9 and 4.5.

At 62 I get my eyes tested every 2 years. I am lucky that I just need reading glasses.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Quickbeam and spider9 please stop bringing humour to this forum, you should know by now that to certain members this is frowned on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia