We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Years Honours List

canarieslover

Likes # 0

There seems to be a bit of criticism over the Olympics/Paralympics honours that have been handed out. enter link description here I can see that there is some validity in the criticism from some of the Paralympians as it does appear that they have to achieve more before being recognised. At the same time I also feel that there are so many different classes in the Paralympics that some of them have comparatively little competition for their medals and that able bodied face much more competition to achieve their medals. I have a lot of sympathy for the Paralympians as probably, in a lot of cases, there is not much chance to earn a good living from sport and an honour is going to be their greatest achievement. I've got very mixed feelings about the whole Honours system anyway so perhaps I may not be the best person to have a go about it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"And how you castigated WTM only a few weeks ago for suggesting that race jockeys were only there to make up the weight!"

and rightly so, because they're not. I'm not sure what on earth that has to do with New year's honours however.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

caccy on page 2 asked: Isn't the only way to get an honour to get enough people to nominate you?

The answer is yes and no. Yes in order to be considered for one you have to be nominated by someone else (you can't nominate yourself), not every application is successful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...