We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Years Honours List

canarieslover

Likes # 0

There seems to be a bit of criticism over the Olympics/Paralympics honours that have been handed out. enter link description here I can see that there is some validity in the criticism from some of the Paralympians as it does appear that they have to achieve more before being recognised. At the same time I also feel that there are so many different classes in the Paralympics that some of them have comparatively little competition for their medals and that able bodied face much more competition to achieve their medals. I have a lot of sympathy for the Paralympians as probably, in a lot of cases, there is not much chance to earn a good living from sport and an honour is going to be their greatest achievement. I've got very mixed feelings about the whole Honours system anyway so perhaps I may not be the best person to have a go about it.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I must admit some of the awards leave a bad taste in my mouth. Cherie Blair, for goodness sake!

And I believe the commisioner of the met has got a knighthood just because it goes along with the job.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy and cynical, but there are also far too many gongs and titles handed out to the civil cervice, just because it's bugginses turn.

WTM

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

There was a very well liked entertainer who let us all down recently, so maybe they don't want to take any chances, there is also the small matter of his tax affairs that was only sorted in his favour by hiring the most expensive barrister he could find

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I don't believe that anybody should be honoured for doing their job well. If they go the extra mile and benefit some part of society by extending what they do. or if they do a lot of charity work, then that could warrant recognition as for everybody else.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

alan14. Ken Dodd should have got his gong years before the person you (don't) mention. He lives a steady life and is probably the opposite to the person you are thinking about. He has done a lot for childrens' charities which never gets mentioned.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have maintained for ages, Honour Lists should be for those who have contributed to society in a very outstanding manner, not for the likes of someone getting well rewarded financially for extending a job they already do, especially in a sports field consisting of very able bodied people.

The other point, is that most of the awards are usually associated as or confirmed as MBE or OBE, and when was the last time Great Britain held an Empire?.

It was stated earlier about Ken Dodd, now if anyone deserved a recognition for life long public entertainment, then that old trouper certainly deserves one, irrespective of his previous tax incident. Bankers and the like seem to pick up rewards easily, irrespective of their present or past achievements!.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This reminds of a certain advert on the TV at the moment -

"I'm a (insert job title / sporting achievement here)can I get one?"

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Diddy men - very suspicious!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Isn't the only way to get an honour to get enough people to nominate you?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

marvin42

"I don't believe that anybody should be honoured for doing their job well."

That more or less sums up my feeling, too.

If you serve your country in an exemplary way - a long and distinguished career in the military,or diplomatic corps for instance, or if you provide some special service to charitable organisations over a long period,or make a particularly noteworthy contribution to the cultural life of the country, then I think you may be worthy of an honour.

Riding a bike well for a few weeks,or even months does not warrant an honour, however much media attention you get in the process. What is happening is that weak governments feel compelled to show that they are 'in touch with the mood of the country', but of course for most of the time they aren't remotely in touch - they simply provide knee-jerk responses to media hype.

The result has been a gross devaluation of the honours system.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Riding a bike well for a few weeks..."

And how you castigated WTM only a few weeks ago for suggesting that race jockeys were only there to make up the weight!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'