We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Its a wind up?

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

And it was, My mum who is 90 said the lamp she used in the kitchen diner for emergency’s was dim.

I said wind it up then, or pass it here and I will do it for you.

90 or not she has her wits about her and just looked at me and said want a cup of tea.

Two weeks passed and she said I wasn’t going to fall for that winding the lamp up to charge the battery. What batteries do I need.

You may have realized by now it was a wind up lamp, just like torches, and radios.

Amused us both.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Somebody once strategically placed and superglued a bright shiny one pound coin to the dark wooden floorboards down at my local pub so that nobody could miss it. Yes ... I fell for it too.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My Grandmother was forever uttering "see a penny,pick it up & all the day you'll have good luck" As a result,I will attempt to pick up any money I see laying on the ground.I thought I was doing well when on one walk upto school with my daughter I spotted £7.90p in change in the grass,obviously fallen out the pocket when they'd sat down to rest after the steepest part of the walk.Over that summer,my daughter found several tenners and some £20's in the same area.We eventually referred to the school walk as the "treasure hunt" as we found various amounts from 1p to £40.I also regularly try to scoop up the 2p from the top of a low wall in the same area,only it's been glued inplace yet still I try.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

When my daughter was a young girl I told her that if she found any small change laying around i.e. 10 pence or less she could have it. When she was 17 ten years ago she wanted to learn to drive. How will you pay for it I said, been saving the change she replied. Well that won't be enough said I, whatever you have I will match it thinking that would at least get her started. Thanks Dad she said, I have four hundred pounds. Was not a wind up so I had to honor my my promise.

Ray

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Well done bumkin,true honesty,i've been done like that several times by my son and he's 38,still you can't take it with you lol.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

bumpkin. Well done and I hope you were rewarded by her passing the test. (By the way, did you ever think of putting the word "Country" in front of your handle?)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bumpkin

I wonder who felt the most proudest. You having a wise daughter, or your daughter on her brilliant achievement?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Yes she did pass on third attempt and i am very proud of her for the sheer determination, not only saving the money for years but not giving up.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

bing.alau. You mean country bumpkin "strong in the arm and thick in the ead" your not far wrong but not even strong in the arm anymore.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

bumpkin. You are in good company because that makes two of us. I daren't mention Brumas and Macscouse.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau if it's a club I'm joining ;o}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data