We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It seems inconceivable that anyone could starve to death in hospital

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Because of my work, I meet a lot of old people and when they eventually end up in hospital, their daughter (if they are lucky enough to have one) will often complain to me, that their Mum/Dad is being very poorly looked after and they have to clean and feed them during visits.

So that report wasn't a surprise at all.

Care homes can be very bad as well. My ex-girlfriend worked in several, but would get upset because they were always very understaffed and the care given was poor. She got several reprimands for spending to long cleaning, or feeding an inmate. She gave up that type of work after a while.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Far from being inconceivable! It has been a huge issue for years. Before my mother passed away 2 years ago she was hospitalised many times and on each occasion she went down hill rapidly in hospital due to lack of nourishment, dehydration, infection etc. She had dementia and the hospitals hadn't the resources to provide basic care. Drinks were frequently left well out of reach, no one encouraged her to drink except ourselves when visiting. I went in one day well after lunchtime, her lunch (sandwiches in a sealed plastic pack) were totally out of her reach on a table.

On returning to the home they would get her built up again until the next time hospitalisation was necessary and the same would happen again.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it happens.

A friend's Step Father was in hospital and unable to help himself, and had virtually nothing to eat for several days. My friend ran a campaign and got Red Trays introduced in the hospital for people who needed help in eating.

I was in the same hospital earlier this year and the food was Abysmal to say the least. I complained to a volunteer who was doing a patient survey around the wards and there was a slight improvement, but not much.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I place the blame squarely with those who have ensured there are not enough nurses on duty at any one time, so they do not have enough time to spend with individual patients.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Given the recent reports on NHS hospital care it should come as no surprise that patients starve to death whilst in their care. Added to this there is the so called Liverpool Pathway, where both food and fluids are withdrawn, (the patient is still malnourished regardless of what the death certificate says) and that nurses appear to be picked for other than a natural caring nature, we must accept that anyone ill enough not to be capable of feeding themselves is likely to starve.

Those most at risk are the more vulnerable, especially the elderly many of whom have no visitors to aid them. To me there appears to be an unadvertised policy of reducing the number of elderly as they enter the NHS hospital system using these processes.

Having said this there are many in the NHS who do care; it is within the bean counters, administrators and other self professed experts that the problems are generated. Perhaps it is time to return to the 'old' systems of the 1960s where Matron was god and nurses truly nursed; given the medicine then hospitals appeared far healthier.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

While not disputing other possible causes mentioned, I think it's no coincidence that nursing has ceased to be a vocation and instead turned into a profession.

WTM

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's believable, I lost a very dear elderly friend due to same, no food and dehydration.

Also personal experience a few years back when I had a little op. Despite filling in the menus there was never any meal for me on the trolley. The other patients resorted to giving me a bit of theirs and my family brought in sandwiches. Even the nurses on ringing the kitchen couldn't get any for me. I never did understand why.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I suppose if you have litle experience of NHS hospitals you might find it inconceivable.

Spend some time in one as a patient or visit a friend or relative and it's perfectly believable. There is no doubt some staff in some wards seem to be rushed off their feet, but in other wards, staff seem to cluster around the central station talking much of the time.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

oresome

**"I suppose if you have litle experience of NHS hospitals you might find it inconceivable. Spend some time in one as a patient or visit a friend or relative and it's perfectly believable"**

In September I had an accident that resulted in a serious crush injury to my foot. It involved four hours of complicated surgery and an eight day stay in a big NHS hospital in London. I am still walking in one of those giant plastic space-boots,and will return for more surgery (to remove four screws from the foot) in January.

I was in a room in a surgical ward that had six beds. Four of my fellow patients had dementia - they had fallen whilst wandering at night in their care homes and had broken a hip. There was a constant background of incoherent shouting and rambling - it went on all night, every night, and during the day as well.

The ward staff were superb, there's no other word for it. The way they cared for the dementia patients was something to see. I would have lost it within five minutes. They dealt with constant cries for attention, complaints about pillows not being right, this not right, that not right, soiled beds, attempts to get up when drips and catheters were in - all manner of irritations that would have had me running for the Vallium. Not once did I see a sign of impatience or irritation from a nurse - they were a credit to their profession. One of them said to me, late at night when we were sharing a quiet moment 'I always keep the thought in my head that one day it could very well be me in that state,and it helps me to deal with it'.

My experience was a good one, I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will have the same, but it does come as a shock to hear that people can die of starvation in a hospital in this country because the staff don't give them any food to eat.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

fourm member I suggest you refer to the four bullet points under the title, "What is the Liverpool Care Pathway?" in your link.

It says: "whether fluids should be given, when a patient has stopped being able to eat or drink". This has been used to stop intravenous fluids and nourishment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote