We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sympathy for footballers.

Chronos the 2nd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just learnt from Mike Bushell from BBC Breakfast that footballers are bracing themselves for a tough ten days as they will be playing 4 games during that period.

That equates to a total of 6 hours and lets be generous and ad half an hour stoppage time and I think you will agree that footballers have an extremely tough time.

I personally think 90 minutes work is more than enough for the rather derisory wages that these athletes are paid.

I think it is time that questions were asked in parliament on how this situation has been allowed to go on. Write to your MP, start a petition, demonstrate outside football grounds to show your solidarity.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

I never said player got paid purely for playing 90 minutes, but to be quite honest I have given up trying to understand you.

I think you just saw an opportunity to have another childish snipe.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees Then a few weeks later he was in the Olympics!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I never said player got paid purely for playing 90 minutes, but to be quite honest I have given up trying to understand you."

Errmm... so what did this comment mean then?

"I personally think 90 minutes work is more than enough for the rather derisory wages that these athletes are paid."

Or this one?

"Oh come on - an average football match lasts for 90 minutes, but an average player DOES NOT run for 90 minutes."

Perhaps you've given up trying to understand yourself - you appear to want to try to deny that you made those remarks.

"I think you just saw an opportunity to have another childish snipe" is the classic response of someone who realises that he's been hoist with his own petard.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Take a close look at a professional footballers fitness levels, training requirements, professionalism while on the job, dedication, loyalty to his team mates, stamina and concentration. Also examine the rewards for sucess, and the penalties for failure.

Then compare the same qualities to a soldier serving in afghanistan.

Can anyone explain to me why I should put aside some sympathy for the footballers?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Can anyone explain to me why I should put aside some sympathy for the footballers?"

Not me. Football used to be all about the team and the fans. Now it's all about the prima donna players, and their lives off the pitch. As I said earlier,some players are paid ridiculous amounts of money.

Comparing one occupation with another isn't always a valid way of looking at things - entertainers (for that's really what footballers are) will always be paid more than soldiers serving in Afghanistan, or people who work in the emergency services. That, as they say, is life.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Sympathy - Not me.

They chose the life and what goes with it.

Before I retired for the last few years we were required to work on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, where previously we used to get the whole Christmas to New Year off. OK we got well paid for it, usually around £1000 a shift, but only because our Union insisted on it, but money aside most of us would have preferred the time off.

What would be nice would be if there were NO football over the Xmas/New year period, which for those of us who can't stand it would be a great relief from the constant 'news' of it on radio and TV.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT

"What would be nice would be if there were NO football over the Xmas/New year period, which for those of us who can't stand it would be a great relief from the constant 'news' of it on radio and TV."

Although I have been known to support a football team over the years I take your point - a rest from it occasionally wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm one of those people who can't understand why anyone finds F1 racing even slightly interesting, so I know how you feel.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd. you don't know an awful lot about the game of football do you?

I am not defending footballers, as I think the majority of them are vastly overpaid and have cosseted lifestyles. Indeed an average English Premier League playerwho plays for a team in the Premier league for just 4 years will in effect be a multi millionaire after those 4 years.

As for your point of a player having to play 4 times in 10 days is hard work, I will say this. A footballer will run the equivalant of a full 26 mile marathon in the 90 minute game. That's not me just saying it, it is a proven fact. Players like Wayne Rooney will undoubtably cover more ground than that.

In short: Do I think they are overpaid = yes. Could I run 4 marathons in 10 days = definately not.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am not interested in F1 motor racing either. But like football it keeps people watching. Christmas without football would be like Christmas without Santa Claus to footie fans. I used to love the atmosphere at the games when I used to go. If I could get to a match without all the trouble of transport and parking and the high cost of admission I would still go. Add to that the cramped confines of the seating and the bad behaviour of some spectators of course may make me decide differently. So I am now happy to remain at home and watch my beloved Everton on the TV. Fingers are now crossed that they can do as well in the second half of the season as they have done in the first. The top of the Premiership could benefit from having a different team than the so called big four. It would be nice to see Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea firmly rooted to the bottom four places. Wishful thinking I now because they have their fingers controlling the purse strings. "Come on you Blues"!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"A footballer will run the equivalant of a full 26 mile marathon in the 90 minute game. That's not me just saying it, it is a proven fact."

"Proven" by whom?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...