We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sympathy for footballers.

Chronos the 2nd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just learnt from Mike Bushell from BBC Breakfast that footballers are bracing themselves for a tough ten days as they will be playing 4 games during that period.

That equates to a total of 6 hours and lets be generous and ad half an hour stoppage time and I think you will agree that footballers have an extremely tough time.

I personally think 90 minutes work is more than enough for the rather derisory wages that these athletes are paid.

I think it is time that questions were asked in parliament on how this situation has been allowed to go on. Write to your MP, start a petition, demonstrate outside football grounds to show your solidarity.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"A footballer will run the equivalant of a full 26 mile marathon in the 90 minute game. That's not me just saying it, it is a proven fact."

"Proven" by whom?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

To add to my last post, from the Wikipedia: "The IAAF world record for men is 2:03:38, set by Patrick Makau of Kenya on September 25, 2011 at the Berlin Marathon."

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Just for clarity, it's more like 10,000 mtrs or so per game dependent on position, but it's not about the distance run, a 10,000 mtr runner would do that in 30 mins or less, but a footballer does it in a series of sprints with jumps and collisions on top. Plenty on Google re: distance stats. As i said previously, i have no sympathy for them at all and they are vastly overpaid, but that doesn't change the fact that 4 games in 10 days is hard to maintain a top level of performance

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Als left peg

See mynlink on the third post of page 1, the average footballerbruns 10,000 m in a game, about 6 miles.

As the worldrecord for the marathon is 2 hours it puts your claim in perspective.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Does it count if I was to tell you I had a cousin who played for Mansfield, Brighton, Leicester City and a few other clubs, ending up with fitting in playing on the local recreation grounds on a Sunday morning. A big change from being pampered by the fans to being pampered by housewives on his final days as a window cleaner.

Our local skip hire man was also a well known footballer.

Goes to show the merits of becoming the prima-donna on the field to the working class :O)

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Never mind sympathy for players - what about the Aston Villa supporters ?

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I appreciate the skill and the fitness that professional footballers have, and I appreciate that they have a comparatively short career so they should bearing these two things in mind be paid a wage that reflects that situation. I do think that the excesses of some like Balotelli are caused in my view partly because they are paid so much money in the hand that they think they are invincible. Why can't they have 80/90% of their money put into trust for the end of their playing days. Surely 20 - 30k week is sufficient to live and splurge on?

The other thing that gets me in football is diving. In one of the games at the weekend, an attacking player was pushed by one player and when the offended player inevitably fell over he was grabbing the back of his calf to suggest he was tackled from behind (= automatic booking/sending off). In my view there needs to be proper punishment for diving, or as I would prefer to call it, cheating. I hate the comment by the commentators that the attackers 'win' a penalty. Surely they are awarded a penalty because of a foul?

Personally I think if someone dives in the penalty area, they should be sent off and a penalty given the other way. This should put a stop to it.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

pavvi. I like that suggestion. As for the "Great Sulk" as I call Balotelli, I think he is a disgrace to his profession. But then again singling him out can't be right as there are too many of them who think they are God. Whatever happened to modesty?

Not many forumites about today are there? They can't all be at football matches so they must be sleeping off the effects of Christmas dinner and last night's debauchery. Hope you have had a good time too, all the best... Bing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added