We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sympathy for footballers.

Chronos the 2nd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just learnt from Mike Bushell from BBC Breakfast that footballers are bracing themselves for a tough ten days as they will be playing 4 games during that period.

That equates to a total of 6 hours and lets be generous and ad half an hour stoppage time and I think you will agree that footballers have an extremely tough time.

I personally think 90 minutes work is more than enough for the rather derisory wages that these athletes are paid.

I think it is time that questions were asked in parliament on how this situation has been allowed to go on. Write to your MP, start a petition, demonstrate outside football grounds to show your solidarity.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

What are you moaning about Santa works 24hrs a year, compared to him footballers are really overworked

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

http://www.livestrong.com/article/387950-how-far-does-a-soccer-player-run-during-a-game/

These are the figures for a match and of course added to this must be the training the players do on most days. What is also not factored is the mental energy expended in a game.

It is easy for us who have never played at this level to snear and be cynical, that the players an play at a high level with so many games in such a time frame is testimony to their personal professionalism and fitness.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Oh come on - an average football match lasts for 90 minutes, but an average player DOES NOT run for 90 minutes. In particular, many players stand around for very long periods of the match. They don't play some School football match where 22 kids are running around after a football.

With a few exceptions, the average Footballer would not manage to stay fresh for 5 sets of tennis and how long can a tennis match last and for that matter how many times is a tennis player going to play in a major tournament. Most footballers are tired after 90 minutes of stop start running.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When I were a lad, I always preferred to be goalie ... but retrieving the balls that I 'let in' (there were no nets in 'em days), invariably meant that a fifty yards dash [both ways] behind the goals, kept me fit :0)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As most footballer have 2 matches a week and presumably fit in a couple of training sessions I cant see the problem - just dont have the training session for a week.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Not related to Frank Haffey are you.

He had the same problem.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jock1e - hee hee, he had butter-fingers too!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Personally I have zero sympathy for the little princesses in the Andrex Premier League, but even saying that 4 games in 10 days at that level really is tough. I played competitive football at a reasonable amateur level for nearly 30 years (Moved into an over 35's league for the last 10 or so) and at my 'peak', if you can call it that, played Saturday and Sunday at a decent level, and trained twice per week. When the inevitable fixture backlog would hit towards the end of the season, we'd play midweek too and even at my level, that was tough. It's not about being able to turn out and run about a bit for 90 minutes, that's easy, anyone can do that, but the level of concentration they must have, and the ability to perform at their absolute maximum, react at their quickest and make the best split second judgements can be the difference between winning and losing a game at the top level. This can equate to hundreds of thousands of pounds for their club in league position and all adds mental pressure. And even when I was fit, you would feel OK for a game, but your muscles would still not have fully recovered from a tough game a few days previous, which generally led to an injury, pulled/torn muscles etc. That is what is tough about it. It's not that they can't do it... it's how well they can do it

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

When footballers have to work as hard, for three weeks, as Bradley Wiggins had to to win the Tour De France, then I might have some sympathy for the overpaid pansies.

Like this post  
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Definitely overpaid

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen