We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NRA's highly intelligent response

rickf

Likes # 0

The NRA has just come out with this statement in response to the call for banning assault rifles and tighter controls. "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun." Mr Lapiere, the Chair of the NRA wants a guard with a gun standing guard at every school. Is he the spectre of "the end of days" that they are fervently waiting for? What planet are these people living in? His illogical logical statement is a contradiction in terms so is mine, ie "the illogical logical" It also demonstrates the war mongering mentality that this lot of Americans represent.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Aitchbee"

Don't get carried away - keep things simple. This will point you in the right direction

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Aitchbee, for once your idea isn't far fetched and is slightly feasible. Find out how to write a letter to the USA's President and give your suggestion.

If it's too much trouble then we'll all understand.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks, Forum Editor - I didn't think that you were serious. Link has been saved in my 'favorites'.I will keep it simple.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I tried to send Mr Obama my message but I don't have a valid ZIP CODE ;o[

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I didn't think that you were serious."

Actually I didn't think you were serious Aitchbee. I don't think your plan could possibly work for all kinds of reasons. America doesn't have a Federal education system as such because of the tenth amendment to the constitution,which says that The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

It means that education policies are a matter for individual state governments.

Congress often tries to muscle individual States into complying with Federal policies or standards via a system that's known as 'cooperative federalism.' It has been used in education by offering federal funding to States for education, on condition that they toe the line as far as federal policies are concerned. It isn't always straightforward, and a scheme like yours would meet stiff opposition in grounds of cost - it would take a lot of money to set up and monitor; so much in fact that I doubt if it would even get past the starting post with Congress.

Think about it for a while and you'll realise that it would be incredibly costly, and an administrative nightmare,quite apart from depriving children of an essential part of growing up - school life is a very important aspect of developing social awareness and skills.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

HB,

Be sure to use your best writing and don't use a pencil:)

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I know I'm digressing quite a bit, but talk of federal and state governments has me thinking about analogies to the european union setup, with the eu parliament and national governments.

I think it gives me an insight into why the federal government is so unpopular with some americans.

But as to gun control, perhaps simply a ban on breechloaders might prove effective? After all, muzzle loaders weree good enough for the founding fathers. But in a nod to progress since then, I would be willing to permit smokeless powder!:)

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

On a more serious note, I think that real progress would be a ban on fully automatic weapons.

Australia first tightened gun control in 1996, and in 2002 the Australian government banned private ownership of any weapon that used a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

The effect has been marked. Prior to 1996 firearms were used in 24% of homicides. By 2007 that figure had fallen to 11%, and the overall figure for homicides had fallen to the lowest level ever recorded.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE . I agree - see my comment of 11.07 am on 18 Dec on this thread:

Other Thread

I used to be "marksman" on Rifle, Bren,Sten and their successors. I found that a bolt action rifle was almost as effective, and maybe more accurate than an SLR, so the hunting lobby have no case for automatic or semi automatic weapons.However I would be surprised if even this small step gets through the US legislature.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Make you wonder how long before they are sighting GTA Missiles to keep em out

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites