We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NRA's highly intelligent response

rickf

Likes # 0

The NRA has just come out with this statement in response to the call for banning assault rifles and tighter controls. "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun." Mr Lapiere, the Chair of the NRA wants a guard with a gun standing guard at every school. Is he the spectre of "the end of days" that they are fervently waiting for? What planet are these people living in? His illogical logical statement is a contradiction in terms so is mine, ie "the illogical logical" It also demonstrates the war mongering mentality that this lot of Americans represent.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I think the best that can be hoped for is to make this type of crime a little more difficult to carry out.

There will always be guns available for the determined and there will always be some mentally unstable person who would like to go out in a blaze of noteriety.

The illness needs to be recognised and treated in those that have it of course and this is probably as effective a measure as any other that may be implemented but perhaps not the quick fix solution that a politician may be looking for.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

"I doubt that the school killer thought he was being a good guy when he planned to shoot the children down"

How can any of us have any idea at all what the killer was thinking prior to his massacre. He may well have been doing 'God's work' (as instructed, maybe) for all we know.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

"How can any of us have any idea at all what the killer was thinking prior to his massacre."

I think it's a reasonable guess that he wasn't a paranoid schizophrenic, so he probably wasn't acting under God's orders. It hasn't been suggested in any of the reports on him that I've read.

I imagine he knew that he was doing something pretty bad, but he just didn't care.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Yes, we can imagine, or guess what we think he had in his mind, but nobody, unfortunately, can ever know for sure.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This tragedy might encourage the expansion of 'learning-at-a-distance' schemes, with perhaps money funded by the BIG BOYS in commuters ie, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Apple, Sony ... etcetera.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

commuters = computers. There may be a saving in travelling expenses as well!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"This tragedy might encourage the expansion of 'learning-at-a-distance' schemes, with perhaps money funded by the BIG BOYS in commuters ie, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Apple, Sony ... etcetera."

Why would it do that, and why would they do that?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Some parents might find it a good way to educate their children, without the hassle of taking them to school. Try it for 2 days a week. The nominal fees [set up costs] charged by the computer / telecomm companies would be offset by educational grants from government.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Why don't you write to President Obama and suggest the idea? You never know...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... there would have to be regulatory 10 minute 'playtimes or runarounds' with no Ad Breaks every hour ;0]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers