We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NRA's highly intelligent response

rickf

Likes # 0

The NRA has just come out with this statement in response to the call for banning assault rifles and tighter controls. "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun." Mr Lapiere, the Chair of the NRA wants a guard with a gun standing guard at every school. Is he the spectre of "the end of days" that they are fervently waiting for? What planet are these people living in? His illogical logical statement is a contradiction in terms so is mine, ie "the illogical logical" It also demonstrates the war mongering mentality that this lot of Americans represent.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree, and in addition wonder how the NRA's good guy with a gun could hope to be on full alert all the time he is on duty and he'd also have to cover every entrance (including windows) and how would he distinguish between the students and a 'baddy'. The potential for 'friendly fire' is horrendous. The mind boggles.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The flaw in the 'armed guard in every school' proposal - apart from the cost - is that the armed guard isn't going to deter a deranged man with an assault rifle -he'll simply make sure that he kills the armed guard first. What America needs is fewer armed people, not more.

It's not an answer,it's a sticking plaster approach, and from what I've read and heard the American people may not be fooled by it. I believe the NRA recognises that the mood has changed, and they're rattled. If the anti-gun lobby can gather enough popular support in the wake of the school killings I think Obama will be under a lot of pressure to act when he gets the 'concrete proposals' he has asked for within a month.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It does seem like the NRA are getting a bit rattled over this massacre business at last.

On the armed guards, well I suppose that's better than last weeks suggestion that the teachers could have prevented it all had they been armed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...the solution to gun violence at schools was to station armed volunteers inside every school."

I'm sure that there will be plenty of volunteers in ripped sleeve battle tops and glistening biceps prepared to look good in the school yard in their racked out pickups full of siege weapons eagerly waiting their chance to prove the soundness of that suggestion.

OK Coral mentality...?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

One might suggest, however, that "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun" forms the solution for most international disputes - does it not?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"spider9"

Except that in international disputes both sides believe they are the good guys. I doubt that the school killer thought he was being a good guy when he planned to shoot the children down.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I propose, for the NRA, a name change. NLA, National Lunatics Association, seems appropriate to me.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The 'measured' response is what I would have expected from the NRA.

However I am looking at it from a British point of view, if I were American I may think that way as well.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

The cowboy is alive and well.This is typical of the cowboy's approach. Well passed it's sale bt date.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

"...the solution to gun violence at schools was to station armed volunteers inside every school."

"I'm sure that there will be plenty of volunteers in ripped sleeve battle tops and glistening biceps prepared to look good in the school yard in their racked out pickups full of siege weapons eagerly waiting their chance to prove the soundness of that suggestion."

Oh good, then we can all look forward to the day when one of them cracks up and goes on a rampage.....or will they all be subject to mandatory psych evaluations (which, of course, will need to be regularly repeated). Hhmm, will probably be cheaper and easier to get some armed guards to watch the armed guards...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers