We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Christmas Songs Drivers Love to Hate

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

Halfords have done a survey of Christmas songs that drivers love to hate. Depicted in the Telegraph. I get fed up with them in shopping centres. Surprised that the Pogues song is not there.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There can be no credibility in a poll that slates Slade' s song.

And Noddy's pension plan must be the best ever with a guaranteed Xmas bonus for evermore.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm not sure even Noddy Holder still likes that song.

The best Christmas records are Christmas Countdown by Frank Kelly & Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses

I don't do Worst records lists, as if a song is rubbish I ignore it

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can confirm that the digital stations still did the usual Xmas songs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Rolf Harris's SIX WHITE BOOMERs didn't get a mention ...so I'd thought I'd mention it. [Sorry, no Links, folks ... as I'm tryin' to keep inside FE's 'Good Book']

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm tryin' to keep inside FE's 'Good Book'"

Don't try too hard because I don't have one. All of you are good in your own way, so just be yourself.

As someone (I can't remember who) once said "If it was necessary to tolerate in other people everything that one permits oneself, life would be unbearable."

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Digital's fine so long as you do not care about the quality of reproduction.

In a car, or on a tinny transistor, it's no better nor worse than Analogue and it does have lots of Stations.

However, try listening to a Violin, Guitar or Tenor Voice on a Hi-Fi System and it's shortcomings become multitudinous. All the fine detail has been stripped out of the sound during compression and it becomes flat.

Digital TV was sold, successfully, on the basis of improved performance and we have bought, not me, I don't have a TV, because it is better.

The whole Digital Radio thing is a monumental error. Why should one replace an Analogue Radio with a Digital Radio that, uses up to 5 x the amount of power, costs several times more than an equivalent Analogue Radio that probably includes a CD Player, and finally only reproduces the big notes!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I quite agree with the quality argument being an early adopter of DAB. But the trade off of lower quality Vs the banality of 57 stations all doing the same top 40 is well worth it.

To counter the quality argument, you do have to be listening to the audio quality rather than the content to find yourself unhappy with DAB. But rather like the hi-fi buffs that still swear by the superior quality and warmth of recorded quality from vinyl through a valve amp, what are you listening to? The content, or the technical reproduction?

The fact is with radio, you tend to be doing something else at the same time, so in my case, I don't notice the lower quality until someone mentions it.

Now with the speech programmes, the spoken word on DAB Vs medium or longwave, their is no comparison, DAB sounds like pure radio sweetness Vs a cat's whisker set.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

The whole Digital Radio thing is a monumental error

That depends on who's viewpoint you are taking.

For the average listener there are now more stations - without DAB there would be no 6 Music, and my life would be poorer without this station - and there are lots of other genre stations now, easy listening, rock, country in some areas etc. This is a good point

For the audiophile the compression is definitely a bad thing. In Europe many listeners have access to a newer DAB system with a much more efficient compression system that reduces bandwidth without such aggressive frequency trimming.

But the real winners are the Government. Digital TV and DAB use a much narrower portion of the radio spectrum than their analogue equivalents, so they can flog off the old bands once they're cleared. Analogue TV is now fully closed, so the empty airwaves will be sold next year. By 2020 the analogue radio airwaves will be cleared, then another chunk of the spectrum will be available for the increasingly hungry wireless data users

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Wasn't the Christmas number one song result supposed to be known by today? Has anybody any idea what it was?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Xmas No1 is the Hillsborough benefit single

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination