We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jobs online - take it ...or lose your benefits ... ultimatum from Ian Duncan Smith.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ian Duncan Smith is rolling out his online-strategy in the new year to get benefit claimants back to work.

Will it work. Sorry no links at the moment.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...as for what I think of the never worked in their lives nor intend to spongers, it's been said by the others.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

"...instead they go for ideas that are not sound thinking"

"But if they agreed with you it would be sound thinking, is that what you mean?"

As the comment or veiled insult was directed to me, I will provide you with a direct answer. Nobody as to agree with me in the slightest, and I am more than pleased when some people don't, because that is freedom of choice. But let's be correct on 'sound thinking' because many people and that includes governments, both local and council, who have impulse ideas that cost fortunes, yet cone to very little. We tend to read or hear about them often. They may look good on paper, but when put into practise the boat might look good, but that boat might not always sail!.

I only wish that when you make comments, you read the full text to that what you reply to, instead of cherry picking words or sentences.

There are many solutions out there, and some have been tried and tested, but through various objections have never progressed. Where I live there was a scheme that was tried for the purpose of helping your own local community, for those that were seeking employment. This soon came to nothing, because unions became involved, stating that fully paid employment was being taken from others. The unions and other parties even objected, when some of these people suggested doing community work as volunteers.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I witnessed one of these local community schemes some years back when a group of young people spent several weeks cleaning the local beck.

The project wasn't cheap to do however. Portacabins were brought to provide rest facilities and toilets were plumbed into the main drains.

Suitable workwear had to be provided as well as supervision etc.

So all in all, there need to be substantial funding.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

FE - "It can be argued that the State does get something in return,it gets the taxes that the employed"

Perhaps I did not make it clear for some - the state pay people, currently, to do nothing - we (the state) should expect something for all the money we pay out to the people who are not working .The workers already pay too much.

Person goes for job interview - Question - What have you been doing for the last Xmths - answer watching TV - NEXT.

Alternatively - what have you been doing - voluntary work/Gov scheme - That's sounds interesting.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm on benefits,and you all appear to have missed M Thatchers proclamation that benefits are taxed therefore I too am a taxpayer.

I have also just been informed by the Benefits Advisor at the Jobcentre that she has decided as I cannot perform any of the voluntary work I must attend the Back to Work Program for the next two years.I have been to two sessions,and at both I was told by the interviewer that I cannot work but I must attend any session as requested or face sanctions to my ESA.How this will affect the governments jobless totals escapes me,but I get to meet new people and have a chat over coffee about many things,all at the governments expense.If & when I recover enough to enable my return to work,I already have three employers asking for me.Admittedly,not a well-paid job but all three jobs are performing work I have always enjoyed doing(even though they're also the reason I'm in poor health)and I've worked for them previously simply to escape the stigma of being branded a scrounger/work-shy/layabout.I would love to return to HGV driving,only the medications I take prevent this(I was asked to collect my truck & drive over to the NE,I was halfway there when my Boss phoned asking where the hell I was as my load was waiting at the factory,I'd forgotten to collect it before setting off)I would love to return to any driving job,only my Dr has insisted I surrender my licence(I could've told him to go away,but if I was involved in another crash my insurance company would likely revoke my policy as I didn't mention the meds)I could retrain,but as some days I'm so "stoned" from my meds I struggle to perform everyday tasks,any additional information to do a job I would require repeated reminding.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

As someone already pointed out if you try to compell the unemployed subscribe to an online work placement system, then to make this work they would require to be provided with the tools to make this possible ? , so other than dishing free 3G ipads complete with a monthly data plan subscription, how else could this be enforced ? and yet make still make savings on unemployment benefit payouts ?, if the government are genuinely looking to save on benefit expenditure why are they not looking at the tax credit system, which consumes way and by far the lions share of benefit expenditure, unlike the unemployed whis is minuiscule by comparison,

but perhaps not since this may just prompt asking the question why would we need a tax credit system if all employed people where actually paid a living wage ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Me I don't like hearing words like this

Quote "regardless of whether any suitable job was available."

Sorry but I do not go with that attitude, yes it would be nice to have a job that you liked or not below your station as some also think. But I think that any person capable of work should work so it will support is family not his wants or otherwise, should have to work so as to take burden off the working man that pay taxes

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

woodchip

Think it through ... where are all thes 'jobs' to come from (only an army of street cleaners seems to be on the cards at present)?

Are you going to pay these workers, and provided NI and other employment rights, or will you wish to create an underclass of 'slave labour' doing the same job for less money and no equal work benefits to their colleagues?

It will cost money whichever way - so the taxpayer will still cough up.

And, by the way, all unemployed and benefits receiver's are taxpayers as well, remember, and the proportion of tax paid by them is usually a much higher proportion of their income than those in well-paid jobs, anyway. So, by that reckoning, they are benefitting the rest of us!!

Finally it is only a very small proportion of the unemployed who are 'wasters', yet governments know the public will always be 'roused' by the topic and so use it to deflect attention from other matters - like why they are not helping industry towards growth.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

"Think it through ... where are all these 'jobs' "

You must live in "utopia" or at least in a different world to me. Open your eyes - or are you so used to a very small world . What is that saying - there is none so blind as those that will not see?

"an underclass of 'slave labour'" that sort of thinking is why , these days, we have so few people willing to volunteer to help those in need.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

QuietPerson

For complete drivel your last post takes the prize!

I said "where are all these jobs" and you say I live in Utopia?? There are twenty people chasing each job - wake up man.

You say "Open your eyes - or are you so used to a very small world . What is that saying - there is none so blind as those that will not see?"

What on earth does that prove, or even mean?

Finally, "these days, we have so few people willing to volunteer to help those in need." - I think you might find just as many, or even more, might be volunteering. Although I don't see the significance of that in the present discussion, which I thought was about the unemployed, not volunteers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?