We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jobs online - take it ...or lose your benefits ... ultimatum from Ian Duncan Smith.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ian Duncan Smith is rolling out his online-strategy in the new year to get benefit claimants back to work.

Will it work. Sorry no links at the moment.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I've kept out of this but some people do take the micky,

23 per job across all sectors in the UK Most competitive sectors:

46 per customer service job 45 per secretarial job 42 per retail job Source: Totaljobs

Taken from BBC website

"There are roughly 11 million people whose annual income is less than £15,000, but many of those will be pensioners who have income from part-time jobs or other sources."

Where did that come from, Conservative fantasy document . I can point you to a school were nearly ALL the non teaching staff are on less than £14000 and rely on support to be able to live, the wages are £1800 per annum but because the school doesn't open for 52 weeks they are paid pro rata so their wage comes in at less than £14000.

http://tinyurl.com/czthq5o

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Woody

From the person that was offered the "work". Someone I know personally and trust. Was offered benefit + £10.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Spider9 - I am unable to locate the source of my 'twenty'

Round figs - 2.5M unemployed - 500,000 vacancies - 5 for one but dont let the facts spoil a good debate. cite ONS.

Quote - just as many, or even more, might be volunteering. Although I don't see the significance of that in the present discussion, which I thought was about the unemployed, not volunteers.

Perhaps quietperson thought you understood a charity needs workers.The unemployed could work for a charity just as well as any other firm. The charities i speak to tell me the numbers are falling over the last few years- can you give a cite for your "just as many, or even more"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

"On your forum is hardly behind your back, FE. You are a giggle sometimes."

That makes absolutely no sense at all - care to elaborate?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"From the person that was offered the "work".

I did not realise that firms could advertise such low wages - i look forward to a cite for the advert. There are training schemes which endevor to instill the work ethic and give training - if your friend thinks he is worth more than offered all he has to do is take up the better offer .

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

woody

It was a scheme offered by DWP. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. They wanted my friend to do a long term course at the age of 61 in the hope of him getting a job with that vocational course at the age of 64.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

"Where did that come from, Conservative fantasy document."

No, you made that part up, as you so often do.

Actually the figures came from HMRC statistics. Now I suppose you'll tell me they are fantasising too.

"I can point you to a school were nearly ALL the non teaching staff are on less than £14000"

I'm sure you can, but what does that have to do with getting benefit claimants back to work, or revenue statistics, come to that?

There are lots of people whose income is less than £14000 a year, because as I said earlier, the figures show that approximately 11 million people get less than £15000.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woody "Round figs - 2.5M unemployed - 500,000 vacancies"

I appreciate your figures, which show that 2 million unemployed have absolutely no chance of a job under any circumstances - yet they will still be castigated I suppose!

"thought you understood a charity needs workers"

Had you said 'employees' as opposed to 'workers' I might have thought you understood the difference.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A fascinating thread for me. I was previously in a fairly well paid job and managed to buy my house. Things changed and I'm one of the millions on about £15000 pa. I get benefits, working tax allowance, because we simply couldn't survive with out it. So, if we moved the goal posts a bit, say £18000 pa, people would still be on benefits? How many millions would that take it up to?

As for benefit scroungers, there are some that make a livelihood out of it, living in a small town we all know who they are. There are more people, though, desperate for any job and can't get one. I feel sorry for them.

As a working man, on benefit, I hope I'm not classed as a scrounger.

As for my two youngest children I don't know what they will do even if they do go to higher education. Surely something is wrong with the economics of this country? House prices are a fairy tale for the greedy.

I don't know the answers but something will have to be done.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

"As a working man, on benefit, I hope I'm not classed as a scrounger."

I'm sure you're not, you are obviously entitled to the benefit you receive. Huge numbers of people who are not entitled to claim are claiming nevertheless, and although I don't think anyone would pretend it would solve the country's problems overnight if that abuse could be stopped it would at least make the rest of us feel a little bit better.

The situation we find ourselves in is a serious one, and anyone who - like you and I - has children must have the same worries for their future. The dream of owning a home is going to remain just that for millions of people for a very long time to come unless some miracle occurs. Those of us who are realists know the truth however, which is that no government, of whatever party, is going to come up with any magic solutions. In the end our salvation will come from the sector that creates wealth - private enterprise - and those who work in it.

Slowly but surely we will work our way out of this situation; let's hope that enough of us have the will to do it. I guess that when you're on a low income and struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis it isn't so easy to take the long view, or to think too much about helping the country out of the hole it's in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more