We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jobs online - take it ...or lose your benefits ... ultimatum from Ian Duncan Smith.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ian Duncan Smith is rolling out his online-strategy in the new year to get benefit claimants back to work.

Will it work. Sorry no links at the moment.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

I'm sure you appreciated what was meant!

There are simply not enough jobs to go round those who are unemployed at the moment , so the eternal blackening of those without jobs is simply unfair, and to artificially create unpaid 'jobs' under threat of loss of benefit (when only a small minority are 'workshy') is, to me, self-defeating and a possible cause of eventual public unrest.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Underworked and overpaid..!? IDS should look at a House closer to home.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"There are simply not enough jobs to go round those who are unemployed at the moment"

As long as the government tells us that immigrants are still required to fill job vacancies, that line's a bit hard to swallow hook and all.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Nice one - shift the blame to immigrants, next in line the EU I suppose....

Everything but a world recession!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There are simply not enough jobs to go round those who are unemployed at the moment"

I think there are plenty of job vacancies, there just aren't any job applicants in many cases. Lots of people take the view that they're better off on benefits,which is why the government is paying so much attention to the benefit system at the moment.

Ministers know that large numbers of people have no intention of working if they can get away with it.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't an unemployment problem, it's just that these sweeping '20 applicants chasing each job' statements are misleading. My wife's niece is in the employment agency business, and she says that years ago she routinely got fifty or sixty applications for one job. It's an easy task for a journalist to get hold of the job vacancy estimates, divide it into the unemployment figure, and come up with a juicy story line. In the real world it isn't like that.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"Ministers know that large numbers of people have no intention of working "

Without asking how they can possibly 'Know' everyone's intentions (are our Ministers also mind-readers?), with all the recent Ministerial shambles we've seen, I am certainly not confident on that score.

My point was that it's a complex problem and the sledge-hammer/nut solution may not always serves us best (although our Daily Wail readers will obviously disagree!).

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Here is something very interesting and pertinent I learnt this morning. 68% of all people claiming benefits are actually in work and also 85% of housing benefit claimants are also in work. Figures conveniently forgotten by government ministers.

Is people in work were actually paid a decent living wage then I would imagine that the necessity to claim benefits would be removed.

But no it is easier for employers to pay low wages as they know that the state will in effect top up their employees wages.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

You may not be confident that there are large numbers of benefit cheats who have no intention of working for a living, but it's a fact. Ministers don't have to be mind-readers, they have the evidence from those who work in social services.

Whatever your point was, you said that there are 20 people chasing each job - what was the source of your information? I suspect it was a newspaper.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

People on benefits should be barred from buying fags and booze, according to a Tory MP.

Alec Shelbrooke, the MP for Elmet and Rothwell, wants claimants to be given a welfare cash card to stop them from buying “unnecessary items.”

Will are politicians get a similar card to stop them buying "unnecessary items" on their expenses I wonder?

Story.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If people in work were actually paid a decent living wage then I would imagine that the necessity to claim benefits would be removed."

In April of this year the national average weekly wage before tax was £506.

There are obviously lots of people who get less than that,but employers can't pay less than the statutory minimum wage - currently £6.19 per hour for those over 21. There are roughly 11 million people whose annual income is less than £15,000, but many of those will be pensioners who have income from part-time jobs or other sources.

Employers obviously pay what they have to in order to get employees - market forces are at work,that's always been the case, and always will be. Someone who runs a business has to balance wages paid against revenues. The government imposes a minimum wage in an attempt to stop unscrupulous employers from exploiting their workforce, but it can never be a perfect system. Raising the minimum wage has an effect on the price of goods in the shops - the farming industry is particularly vulnerable in this respect - which in turn leads to inflation. In a market economy there will always be this problem of lower-paid workers having to struggle, and the welfare state inevitably has to shoulder a part of the burden.

"If people in work were actually paid a decent living wage then I would imagine that the necessity to claim benefits would be removed." is an overly simplistic view of the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer