We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will the Nick Pollard report make any difference to the BBC?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Seeing the BBC Newsnight program yesterday evening and hearing what as been stated in the Nick Pollard report, I wonder if it will make much difference. Because it would seem that some of the people involved are choosing their own ways forward, instead of being told.

There even a media report today, that the BBC are taking possible further expensive legal advice about regaining returns on previous pay-outs, because those in power now regard the payments and conditions were excessive, and not to the public's advantage or taste. Yet at the same time, they are already saying that any returns would be very unlikely and uncertain?.

The position of senior staff who have been named or were suggested, was also highlighted in yesterday's Newsnight program. And it would seem that there are changes pending, and the people involved will have lesser responsibilities , but reap the same previous rewards. one particulat comment was how someone can resign (before being pushed), yet still remain in the same job for a further six months?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20790891

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

Short reply NO.

We should change the watch dog - current one has shown he is a waste of money. Next we should tell BBC the funds will be reduced ten percent each year and if they are so good get the shortfall from those that like it.

They were a neutral broadcaster but these days !

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On this morning's Radio4's Today, John Humphrey interviewed Lord Patten (JH made appologies to listeners about the 'background noise of the rain hitting the roof'. Listening 'standards' have already dropped :o]

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I listened to Chris Patten yesterday when he was asked why there had been no sackings. His reply was that this was untrue as George Entwistle and Iain Overton have resigned and others have been moved to other posts within the BBC. Now how resignations and employment moves are the same as sackings escapes me.

But our institutions have always lived in a different world than the rest of us, where failure is rewarded with ever bigger bonuses and huge settlements if by some massive stroke of misfortune it is necessary to resign.

The BBC Senior management keep wittering on about trust and that it is of the utmost importance to regain the trust of the public. Yet at the same time paying lip service to the idea that when there have been massive failings in management over the Saville affair. No one has be punished or even disciplined. Just moved from one well paid job to another.

The BBC certainly has my trust.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm said - "That leaves the BBC two choices; say it wasn't or get the lawyers to go round one more time spending even more public money."

Another option is to hike up the BBC TV license.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

fourm member

And the relevance of your post is? I see no mention of what a person is being paid in the previous posts. We are talking about people not taking any responsibility for their actions and how the BBC as taken no action against these people. How you managed to bring in employment law and the unions the labour party is a puzzle.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As I suggested in the intro, this was a point that was forcibly asked on the BBC Newsnight program yesterday evening. Why have those who have been mentioned, are just being moved to lesser responsibility jobs with the same pay and entitlements. All being paid for at the public's expense.

The other week Patten was asked at a Select Committee sitting about his role, his other jobs and the hours he served on the BBC Trust. Apparently he was very annoyed this question was asked, and indeed he refused to provide a clear answer.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"Why have those who have been mentioned, are just being moved to lesser responsibility jobs with the same pay and entitlements."

You obviously didn't bother to read the post directly above yours. What would you have done with these people - and at the same time complied with employment legislation and contract law?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"Another option is to hike up the BBC TV license."

Any increase in the TV licence fee has to be approved by parliament, the BBC has no power to alter the cost.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I wouldn't have done anything with these people, because it isn't my responsibility to do so.

If you had bothered to have read my post at 6.59pm and my introduction correctly, you would have noted that I was not asking the question, but repeating what had been stated on the BBC Newsnight program. It was the point Jeremy Paxman was trying to make, when he was interviewing the acting person now in charge of the BBC. He (Jeremy Paxman) asked point blank, more than once, why these people were still in jobs, and received no direct answers to the question raised.

My post at 6.59pm was in response to the post Chronus the 2nd made at 1.49pm

It as also been stated, that the BBC are conducting a legal investigation as to whether they can claw back any money that might have been incorrectly and already been paid out, because senior management originally claimed that it would be cheaper to pay out than go to a possible hearing. Apparently they are now having a rethink about this first decision, because questions are being asked on who or how these decisions are or have been made. Patten seemed to be the person who may have made the original decision?.

It might also be worth noting, that a Parliament Select Committee as already recently sat in regards to employment or working contracts that the BBC have issued, and this is still ongoing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"spuds"

I did read your post, and now that you've explained I understand, but you worded it badly,which is why I picked up on the sentence. Punctuation is what gives sense to a post, and you put a full stop after "As I suggested in the intro, this was a point that was forcibly asked on the BBC Newsnight program yesterday evening." Then you started a new sentence - the one I quoted. It gives the impression that you're asking the question.

It seems like small thing, but it's what prompted my response - huge court cases about contract disputes have been fought over such apparently trivial things as wrongly placed punctuation marks.

Anyway, now that you've explained I understand, and I apologise for confusing you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED