We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

World War Two Arctic convoy veterans to receive campaign medals

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Story.

This is long long overdue and in my opinion a shocking omission by successive governments over the past 65 years. My late father was very reluctant to talk about his time on the convoys but I will say from the snippets I picked up over the years, it was a horrendous time. And for the many sacrifices made by the veterans of these convoys not to be recognised for over 65 years is an absolute disgrace. Particularly when you have each and every year many completely faceless civil servants given all sorts of recognition. From OBE's ETC to knighthoods.

In memory of my dad I say to the lads of the Arctic convoys,on behalf of the country a very simple thanks.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think the question need to be asked of the veteran's themselves, as to whether the would like a medal after all these years of 'missing out'.

You only need to look at the various websites, to see how some medals end up for sale, because the families of the people who won these medals, no longer want them?.

At least with something more solid and visible, then history carries on!.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think that this medal is long overdue. I also think it would have been appropriate to have one for Bomber Command, who lost over 55000 in WW2 (my father was one, KIA) . They did get an "Air crew Europe" one, but such were the risks in Bomber Command, in the year their memorial was opened, it would have been appropriate to award one.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

o the Arctic Convoy Medal it has been announced that Bomber Command people will get a specific Clasp. This may cause some difficulties because Bomber Aircrew may have one of three medals each of which can have a clasp.

They are: Aircrew Europe (Ops prior to D-Day) Clasp Atlantic Ops or Ops after D-Day. Atlantic Star - Clasp Aircrew Europe or France and Germany. France and Germany (Ops post D-Day) Only one clasp - Atlantic Star.

Note only one clasp allowed.

Battle of Britain Aircrew , they were not all pilots, get a rosette to wear on the 1939-45 Star.

Sorry, I know that I am an Anorak!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015