We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Communication Breakdown.

Blackhat

Likes # 0

Do your local authority departments talk to each other?

Mine don’t, here’s why.

My road is quite short, 40+ terraced houses leading onto a very busy suburban High Street and parking is a premium. Day time it is used as a car park for local shop workers, evenings for the pub on the corner. I can only usually park near my house between 6-8pm.

This week highways resurfaced the road and re painted the markings. Problem is that there were 2 disabled bays along the road designated to the occupants adjacent, very worn away and hardly visible, both residents relating to the bays had passed away a long time ago and us locals would use these bays knowing that their condition made them invalid and that were no longer needed. You guessed it, re painted brilliant white and now 2 premium parking spaces gone for a few more years.

It would not have taken much for management to check if the bays were still valid or is there some sort of time scale or procedure to remove a disabled bay?

There is ample disabled parking in the area, very much under used and our local wardens will jump on you out of the blue for the slightest thing.

This may all sound a bit petty but getting home in the driving rain knowing that you face a long walk when there could be space by your house is not funny.

Local authority has rejected requests for residential parking numerous times.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Could you not get in touch with the council and explain the position and ask for the bays to be removed?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Flak999

After tomorrow I have a few weeks off and I bet that’s how long it will take just to find out who to speak to, I shouldn’t have to be doing that in the first place if departments talked! I have had dealings with Birmingham local authority & council in the past and on some issues never got a result in 5 years of endless communications.

One such incident related to damaged section of curb that always led to a 2-3 inch build up of water outside mine and both sides on the pavement outside our doors, we open out onto the street. 2 years after all of us doing our best led to a curb repair, this resulted in a dip further along the pavement leaving one resident getting flooded regularly. Still not resolved but moved along so I am not involved.

Gave up on the tree growing in a rear access alleyway, nobody can find out who is responsible for the land so after 5 years I am now just waiting for the thing to fall over in high wind so I can claim on insurance if any damage. Had 3 successive local councillors out on this one and parks department and planning, no one has responsibility for the tree, told to sort it out ourselves, would cost hundreds if not more due to size of tree and limited access.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I sympathise, red tape and officialdom can be extremely wearing at times.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding parking, is not only a nightmare for the public, but the council's and police as well. Everyone wants to park right outside the homes or property, and this can sometimes include families with two or more cars.

In the days of terraced houses, the streets were not planned for motor vehicles to the extent that is required nowadays, hence pavement obstructions causing all sort of problems for pedestrians.

Quite a number of council's have looked at resident parking permits, but enforcement is an ongoing problem, especially when visitor's are required to have 'occasional' permits.

Perhaps worth a mention, but some council's are putting in disabled only bays, which do not meet legal requirements?.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Update.

Having done some research I have found that there are 2 types of residential disabled parking bays. 1, Enforced, has a wheelchair marking on the road and a road side sign, blue badge holders only. 2, Advisory, only has the wheelchair road marking, anyone can park.

Both of the bays in my road are advisory, I will make use of the one opposite my house as often as I can. You do not have to display a blue badge in an advisory disabled bay, they rely on respect only. As both residents relating to the bays have passed on I will make full use of them as others often leave the spaces empty.

With this in mind I will not make any effort towards their removal as I now see them to my advantage.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Aye - I knows yer knows.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Blackhat

Treat those parking spots like a piece of gold. It won't be long before the complaints start coming in, and the council does something about it.

The next thing will be 'unnecessary obstruction' of footpaths etc, which at present the police attend to, but according to the government minister Norman Baker, local byelaws should cover this issue, and it would then be the council's responsibility for fines and removal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...