We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Here's an example of how some things can go wrong very rapidly

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Instagram, a company that was acquired by Facebook earlier this year is giving itself the right to sell users' photographs to advertisers without their consent.

Instagram is making out that the change in policy is to enable it to "fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used" but people aren't being fooled by it. One market analyst said "Every time Facebook has altered their privacy policy it has led to a backlash and they've been forced to retreat. They tamper with people's privacy at a cost. People are very upset."

Personal privacy on the internet is an increasingly problematic issue - I recently had an experience where one of those business networks accessed my address book and sent emails to everyone in it without my knowledge.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Another reason not to use social media! I have a Facebook and a twitter account but only use them to view other sites which require a Facebook or twitter login. I have all of the privacy settings set to the max and never post any personally identifiable data and never any pictures.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I don't visit social-networks ... so, your ugly mug is still 'not available'. (only kidding)

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cant fool all of the people all of the time.

As true today as when it was first uttered.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...but you can probably fool the youthful people most of the time as always.

They'll still carry on blithely posting pictures of themselves going into the taxi, into the pub, into the whatever...

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

That is why I absolutely refuse to have a Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking account.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

For future reference, we've tweaked my control console, so now, when I ban a spammer the server automatically removes all posts by that person, wherever they appear. It means that you'll only have to notify me once.

Many thanks.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I now have this mental image of the FE sitting behind a Davros-esque control console looking magnificent in his omnipotence with golden mouse and thread lock at the ready...:)

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

[b]Nah Quickbeam:[/b] It's combat fatigues and an AK47!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's not too difficult to work out that the GOVERNMENT is 'on facebook' and has 'clocked' everybody that they wish to 'analyse'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Sometimes I think you post just for the sake of it. What in earth do you mean by "the GOVERNMENT is 'on facebook' and has 'clocked' everybody that they wish to 'analyse'."?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features