We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 1

It's been a while, but I'm pretty certain Jesus said something about treating your neighbour as you would hope to be treated yourself. Whether you think he was god or not, that to me seems a pretty good place to start when building a just society. Prejudice on any grounds is, by definition, unChristian.

And while we are at it, when I see avowdly heterosexual people getting hot under the collar about homosexuality, I do wonder what it is they are afraid of. Whether you like it or not, there are people in your life who are gay. If you don't think that is the case, it's because they aren't telling you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

pavvi

Thank you for a couple of excellent posts. It's always good to hear a balanced view - especially your reminder about how the bible stories were passed on verbally.

Some of them weren't written until hundreds of years after the events they describe.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Whether you like it or not, there are people in your life who are gay. If you don't think that is the case, it's because they aren't telling you."

Matt's comment reminded me of a PA who worked for me for two and a half years before I discovered she was gay. It cropped up in a conversation at a reception we attended, and she said 'I thought you always knew, so I didn't mention it'.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Forum member

It depends on which bits the pragmatist is pragmatic about. He/she might believe that homosexuality is wrong because the bible says it is. He might accept that science is right about the creation of the earth. This was the position of my Head of Year at school. Nothing is ever clear cut n religion. Some will accept the moral 'truths' but accept that the world wasn't created in 7 days. The argument then that there was to be a first cause and they will argue that that first cause was God.

If one argues that a fairly pragmatic believer accepts that not all the 'facts' are as reported, it doesn't necessarily follow that the moral truths are still true and consistent. I happen to believe differently, and am more pragmatic due to my study of Theology at university. I had discussions with the more fundamental and evangelical wing of my then church who argued that I should leave Philosophy out of it but I argued (and also in my interview for my uni place by Dr Liz Stuart - who wrote a groundbreaking Prayer Book that included prayers and services that were inclusive for gays and lesbians - she was a Roman Catholic so she is popular with the current Pope) that faith has to be questioned in order for it to be considered faith. If it is 'fact' then it requires no faith.

Society's response to homosexuality is contentious. It would be wrong however, to believe that all the opinions saying that homosexuality is wrong is based on religious belief. There are plenty of atheists and agnostics that display the same prejudice. Unfortunately the word prejudice has been hijacked and made more sinister in recent times. I use it in the sense of a long held belief.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps if we are going to start quoting parts from the bible, then perhaps look no further than " Go forth and multiply".

This was once explained to me by a group of elderly West Indian ladies, when I attended a funeral of a person who had been shot and killed, and was a relation of their's. I was curious about relationships and how on this occasion about 500+ people attended the funeral, including the dead person's many girl friends and the children born of those relationships with the now deceased person.

It wasn't regarded as a sin, in having all those relationships, but a way the bible had possibly intended, depending on translation?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...as to what the dictionary says about 'gay'..."

I believe that the modern use of the word gay, is a modern abrreviation of the phrase Good As You originating from the liberated communities of the '60s West Coast love in era.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

forum member

Apologies, that comment wasn't meant to suggest to say that you had suggested it was based on purely religious belief. I was just making the comment generally.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Qickbeam

Oh you mean 'Flower Power', I remember that era well!.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spuds

Be sure to wear a flower in your hair...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If I had a Car Manual that was not pointing me in the right direction to fix the fault or maintain it, I would throw the manual. that's the problem with so called Christians today, a bit like going to a wedding mash-up and just picking the bits you like and throw the rest. You either believe or you don't in what the Bible says, it condemns killing but you will get the above killing each other, in the name of king and country. though they profess same religion.. I do not condemn or hate Homosexuals, its actions I hate. People can change, that's what makes Humans or puts Humans at a higher level than Animals, we have a choice to take any path we choose and its not for me to say what path anybody takes that is left to someone higher than me, Just because you cannot see him does not make him disappear, A ostrich buries its head in the sand when it sees danger what a stupid thing to do, But many do the same thing today in all walks of life without thinking of the consequences, that also includes messing with Electrics at high volts, or servicing Gas Appliances that kills people with Carbon Monoxide. I would not argue with someone that studied anything to the full extent of knowing what the was talking about, never mind put it in writing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...