We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Gay people don't pose any threat to society

Here we can agree! (phew!) But it is the vociferous minority within the homosexual community (Peter Tatchell et-al) that draw unwanted attention to issues which others find very contentious (homosexual marriage)

As an atheist I personally have no problem where anybody gets married, particularly in a religious sense. But I can acknowledge that those who do have a religious belief find the idea a step to far. You either believe that the bible, Koran et-al is the word of that particular God or you don't.

That is why homosexual marriage is such a contentious issue.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"I can acknowledge that those who do have a religious belief find the idea a step to far."

They're the ones who irritate me the most, because they're hypocrites of the worst kind. Presumably a god worthy of the name will create all men and women equal, and love all of them equally, and that - if you believe in a god - is how it should be.

It means that god created homosexuals, and loves them just as much as he/she/it loves heterosexuals, which in turn means that believers should do the same. What they shouldn't do is say that being gay is 'wrong', or infer that there's something hideous about the way that gay people live and love.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Religion is full of all sorts of contradictions like this, because the religion is created by man not some unseen entity. Like all things created by man it is flawed.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

How many boxes does "Sandi" Toksvig tick.

I would have thought the she and Sir Ian McKellen are two examples from the 'Gay' Community that demonstrate how stupid homophobia is.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

McKellen and other homosexuals in the limelight, do not have children of their own; So why should he be pontificating to other people's children in schools?

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Aichbee

So a prerequisite to teach is to have children of ones own? I don't have kids, but have taught (admittedly a very different age group)... is that wrong? Would an infertile man be ruled out of delivering sex education on those grounds? If it removed all the Catholic priests from teaching, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but an awful lot of schools would have to shut their doors straightaway. The (catholic) clergy seem oftenways to be those that have such strong opinions on sexual morality... and are those that (should!) have nlittle or no experience of it.

I very much doubt Mckellan is "pontificating", but he may have experience of the prjudice and homophobia that is so prevalent in society, and his experiences may well educate and dramatically improve the lives of those children. There may be those that may/would have suffered prejudice who will know they are not alone and isolated, and there may be those that would have expressed such intolerance but will not because a highly articulate and gentle man has explained to them (at a formative age) why it is wrong.

We could have done with a visit from the likes of him at my school thirty years ago, and I'd have grown up a kinder, more tolerant teenager!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

so long as homosexuals live according to the law This of course is where it all went wrong as it was both church and civil laws that persecuted homosexuals.

1. live and let live not to interfere with other people's business or preferences.

Doesn't this happen all the time anyway?

2. live and let live believing that other people should be allowed to live their lives in the way that they want to

3. live and let live to accept other people as they are, although they may have a different way of life.

and shouldn't we be applying 2 an 3 to lots of things not just a persons sexual preferences.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

bjh - 50 years ago, my primary school had a visit from a local priest, who instilled a fear in me that has never went away. I was eight.i will not expand on this.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

FE Come down off your thrown, I if you know anything about the Bible you would not say Sweeping statements as

"They're the ones who irritate me the most, because they're hypocrites of the worst kind. Presumably a god worthy of the name will create all men and women equal, and love all of them equally, and that - if you believe in a god - is how it should be.

It means that god created homosexuals, and loves them just as much as he/she/it loves heterosexuals, which in turn means that believers should do the same. What they shouldn't do is say that being gay is 'wrong', or infer that there's something hideous about the way that gay people live and love."

God saw Sodom and Gomorrah and destroyed them for the above, as a lesson to mankind, anybody that knows there Bible also knows that it still stands READ 2 Corinthians 6 Have your say but If it was my Children I would remove them from such lesson's for this I do have the right to instill what I consider good moral values, not long ago you would be in deep troubled in the armed forces if you was found to be such, but like everything ells in this world it gets more and more corrupted or if you look in a dictionary What Sophistication is, its not something to be longed for. As some people would have you believe. You do seem to get a kick out of pulling other to Bits

link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite