We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bumpkin, nah, let's not have a 'hands up', don't think that is appropriate information to ask for or post on a public forum. It is non of anyone elses' business, in the same way as: age, gender, married, single, widowed, divorced, religion, ethnic origin, which party you vote for in elections, etc etc.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I see the C of E is to permit gay bishops. Gay Bishops

Providing of course they promise to be celibate. How confusing is that. I find the whole issue of the attitude of the C of E and the RC faith , who do not even allow married priests (unless they defect from the C of E) is ridiculous in this day and age. Petty issues like this put many off religion.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Lotvic, it was not really a serious suggestion. The point I was trying to make was that if we are not homosexual ourselves can we really understand or judge those that are. I do not think we can or should do. We can all have our own opinions of course but there is no clear cut right or wrong on this issue.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... " Petty issues like this put many off religion. "

I (and many others of the 'flock') do NOT think this issue [the prospect of gay bishops] is petty, jb.

... but you're quite right in saying it will put many people off ... the word 'disgust' might better describe the unpopularity of this unnatural and 'uncelestial' proposal.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Church silly season again. These are all 'man-made' restrictions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"The point I was trying to make was that if we are not homosexual ourselves can we really understand or judge those that are."

Of course we can, in the same way that homosexuals may understand and judge heterosexuals. You talk as though homosexuals are a different race of people.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Forum member

You have fundamentalists that believe every word is true and you have pragmatists who accept that the message is what is important and while they believe that some of what is written is true they accept that some things may not be as reported.

The Bible does say that all sorts of things are wrong - Leviticus in the Old Testament has most of these references and there is more than one reference to homosexuality in Leviticus itself. Leviticus was intended as a rulebook for the new state of Israel after the Israelites had escaped from Egypt, so for me context is important. Fundamentalists would say that context is irrelevant and they are rules for all. I'm a pragmatist and I believe that the context was to keep them separated from the Canaanites.

Fundamentalists would argue that yes, all the things in the bible really happened in the way described. Chances are there was a real flood, and possibly even a real Noah, although I doubt he lived to be 950 years old! It is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone noticing it was raining a lot deciding to build a boat - you'd be tempted to do the same in the UK this year!

Many of the stories in the bible were shared verbally and we know how the truth sometimes gets stretched when stories get exchanged.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Reading quickly through the comments being made in this thread, it would appear that the usual insults are being aired by the same individuals, who may believe they have the answers?

But putting that aside, I have friend's who are both homosexual and lesbian, but they would never think that attending school's giving lectures is the way they would like to go.

Which comes to other points about being 'gay' and 'coming out', and why is it that some people think that the whole world should know. And that comes to another point as to what the dictionary says about 'gay'. In the dictionary I have just checked, it clearly states: merry -light hearted - showy - dissolute - quarrelsome - overbearing - unpleasant. And possibly this applies to all works of life, just not one particular group who wants to express that they are very special and need wide attention.

The people that I know don't go around with placards or find the need to dress and act far differently to anyone else, so as to publicise their gender. They carry on their own affairs in a private manner, within the groups and people they meet and deal with everyday of their lives. Its a bit like a person who owns firearms, they don't go around with a gun and ammunition in public places, telling everyone "look I am special, and I must draw your attention to me".

Coming back to the subject of going into school's and perhaps giving lectures, I would ask the questions as to why this should be done, and who is requesting this service. Is it the kid's, the teacher's or perhaps an issue far bigger?.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

So this is the way forward is it?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/50616/bbc-needs-more-gay-hosts-and-less-homophobia

Smacks to me of an attack on heterosexuality.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Some of the posts on here make absolutely clear the essential need for the role Sir Ian McKellen is undertaking.

Homosexuality is not learned, there is nothing "wrong" or "abnormal" about it, and it is not "perverted". The fact it doesn't agree with some peoples' own prejudiced view is a matter for them to deal with, and not a matter for others to have to / try to conform to such narrow views.

Such terms are easy to bandy around when one believes one knows what is right, normal and moral - except one has self-determined the remit of those terms in doing so.

There is a rather unpleasant element of such trenchant prejudice being exhibited currently in Tory backbenches and, as so often, the good old Church of England. I am sorely disappointed that either group are seen by some as having any moral authority on such matters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014