We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 1

*"I accept that if that is how many want to live, it is their choice" *

No it isn't a choice - it's a fact. If you were born gay then you are gay.

Well said Mr Mistoffelees

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"My concern is that more young people might be tempted to experiment because of the strong message they are being given that it is "ok"

Of course it is OK, and if you think that many young people don't experiment with their sexuality you must have led an extremely sheltered life. It's a perfectly normal part of growing up to feel an attraction to someone of the same sex at some point, and - contrary to what you seem to think -it's perfectly normal to be gay. There have been homosexuals throughout the history of mankind,and although anyone who believes that there's something inherently 'wrong' with being gay is perfectly entitled to their opinion I think it's an excellent idea for gay people to speak to adolescent school-children about it. Far too many young people go through the agony of trying to suppress their natural sexual feelings because their parents and others try to convince them that it's wrong to be a homosexual.

Your remark that "It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative." astonishes me - of course it's a totally normal alternative.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

QuietPerson

Homosexuality is a normal aspect of the human condition. There have been huge numbers of homosexuals throughout history, but in the past they were commonly persecuted.

Being a homosexual isn't something you choose, and it certainly isn't 'wrong'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

woodchip

"...but homosexuality is learned"

What a ridiculous, misinformed statement.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 1

FE, of course some young people experiment with their sexuality and no I not have an extremely sheltered life.

My point is the even more may be tempted to experiment because of the message being sent out these days. Children will emulate role models and as more and more story lines appear around homosexual characters and more "camp" presenters appear this is surely an unacceptable risk.

Visits to vulnerable young people with a view to actively promoting practises that could lead to sodomy lead me to question the motives behind such actions.

I note you state that it is perfectly normal to be gay. There is nothing normal about it. Normality is the union between the two genders - nothing else. Anything other than that is not normal - it is abnormal - some would call it perverse.

I am not "gay bashing" I accept that if that is how many want to live, it is their choice and I respect that but I am increasingly uncomfortable with the "in your face" promotion of the lifestyle that is becoming increasingly hard to avoid.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

Disappointing to see that some forum members have such an ill-informed and backward looking attitude to homosexuality.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Please don't read woodchip's post and think that all Christians think the same. The majority of mainstream denominations welcome the inclusion of lesbians and gays. However it is not without it's problems and it creates regular debates.

I've no idea what the relevance of 2 Corinthians 6 is to this debate. Misquote? It can be unhelpful to take one verse from the bible, and quote it out of context.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 1

Woodchip - you need to look more carefully at the point FE was making. It's more subtle than you give credit for. I have studied Theology to Master's level as well as Philosophy of Religion and this issue is one I have studied at both a theological and liturgical level.

I know what the Bible says. But you need to remember that the Bible is not a single book thought out by one person but a collection of books and thoughts by hundreds of people. Many things in the Bible are contradictory which is unsurprising since it wasn't intended as a single unit and has been retranslated and edit thousands of times.

Many Fundamental Christians run the risk of running themselves into double standards because they say that all people were created in the image of God. They then argue that certain things are an 'obomination unto the Lord'. You end up getting into a chicken and egg situation very easily.

If God created all things, then he created homosexuality too. Many would argue that that 'abomination' is The Devil's work. Fine, but who created the Devil? It's easy to blame things on to this 'Devil' but someone/thing/Being created the Devil.

If it wasn't God, who was it? If it was something else, then God clearly didn't create all things. You can't get away with saying that God created all the 'Good' things and anything that falls outside of that is nothing to do with God. If God created all things then he created all things.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

sunnystaines

"a lot of young people are gay as it is fashionable these days with all the hype in the media and TV. talks like these just make it worse."

I really do despair when I see comments like this, and some of the others in the thread, including those of the originator. They serve to illustrate the depth of ignorance and prejudice that surrounds the whole subject, and underline the desperate need for a better standard of sex education in our schools.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

I do not consider them to be a different race and am not homophobic. I have friends that are homosexual and I get on as well with them as those that are not. It just seems to me that homosexuality was not how nature planned things or none of us would be here.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'