We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...as to what the dictionary says about 'gay'..."

I believe that the modern use of the word gay, is a modern abrreviation of the phrase Good As You originating from the liberated communities of the '60s West Coast love in era.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

forum member

Apologies, that comment wasn't meant to suggest to say that you had suggested it was based on purely religious belief. I was just making the comment generally.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Qickbeam

Oh you mean 'Flower Power', I remember that era well!.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spuds

Be sure to wear a flower in your hair...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If I had a Car Manual that was not pointing me in the right direction to fix the fault or maintain it, I would throw the manual. that's the problem with so called Christians today, a bit like going to a wedding mash-up and just picking the bits you like and throw the rest. You either believe or you don't in what the Bible says, it condemns killing but you will get the above killing each other, in the name of king and country. though they profess same religion.. I do not condemn or hate Homosexuals, its actions I hate. People can change, that's what makes Humans or puts Humans at a higher level than Animals, we have a choice to take any path we choose and its not for me to say what path anybody takes that is left to someone higher than me, Just because you cannot see him does not make him disappear, A ostrich buries its head in the sand when it sees danger what a stupid thing to do, But many do the same thing today in all walks of life without thinking of the consequences, that also includes messing with Electrics at high volts, or servicing Gas Appliances that kills people with Carbon Monoxide. I would not argue with someone that studied anything to the full extent of knowing what the was talking about, never mind put it in writing

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As to how man days it says it took to create the earth, It does not say that they are 24 hour days, all days in a week are the same length, read it again and you will see that each day Came to a end with the words, "it was very good" but it says about the seventh day nothing about it coming to a end, it also says in the Bible that rest day is still continuing, and that some of the so called religionists of that day would not enter into that rest, It says of Jesus disciples that they was unlettered not so called wise or intellectuals ones.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Scotland 'tour' is just an extension of the talks in England Schools, and is part of Anti-Bullying Education and probably comes under Social Studies. The Talkers are invited.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/apr/12/ian-mckellen-gay-tour-schools

It has nothing to do with Religion per se.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fourm member, Who do you think you are to say that someone cannot have whatever personal view or belief they want of a subject.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"we have a choice to take any path we choose and its not for me to say what path anybody takes that is left to someone higher than me"

From which I deduce that you believe people can choose whether or not to be homosexual - which is plainly ridiculous. You don't choose to be heterosexual, it just happens, and so it is with homosexuality. I cannot understand why some people persist in thinking that homosexuals mad a conscious decision about their sexual orientation.

As for it being "left to someone higher than me" I take it that you believe in God. I don't, so to me it's a silly concept. In my opinion God doesn't 'decide' that this or that person will be homosexual or heterosexual. It's a matter of human biology.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I have held off posting further until the thread appeared to have largely run its course. This has been one of the liveliest thought provoking threads here for a while and I make no apology for originating it.

Many of the usual thread ingredients have emerged including personal slap downs for allegedly holding alternative views, going off at a tangent on unrelated points (religion in this case), turning the question into the rights and wrongs of homosexuality which was not the idea of the original post.

The way the thread has developed raises concerns that a lot of people appear to have very simplistic and unreal opinions on the development of sexuality in the young. To claim that you are simply born either gay or straight and live the corresponding lifestyle for the rest of your life is naïve in the extreme. Yes many know from an early age that they are homosexual but there are significant numbers who are confused due to many factors such as immaturity, insecurity, lack of confidence, personal experiences etc. As a result they are at risk of making the wrong choice and regretting it at a later stage. The following links are two stories worth reading if you have the time and the interest.

http://www.wnd.com/2007/07/42385/

http://tinyurl.com/bpd4yuf

Hopefully these may give some understanding of where I am coming from. On reflection, I would have worded part of my original post slightly differently, my main concern is the potential effect of high profile homosexuals being brought into schools to talk to young people, some of whom may be at a confused time in their lives and may be influenced to adopt a lifestyle they later regret. They may be there on the basis of attempting to remove prejudice but I would be concerned this is a risky platform for homosexual endorsement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer