We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Flak999

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of homosexuality being a chromosomal "condition" - which is an interesting turn of phrase in itself. The idea that there is (or will be found) a "gay gene" is the stuff of simplistic Daily Mail reports. It may be your view, but it is one born from ignorance of the facts.

By the way, not "all animals are born with.... to increase the species". In addition, homosexual behaviour is rife in a huge variety of species, and has a strong evolutionary reason to be so. Indeed, it is probably the "norm", to use your expression.

Why do you condiser homosexuality to not be normal? What do you mean, that it is a minority condition (in which case being an adult male is also not "normal")? It is certainly not abnormal. Even if the majority of a species were homosexual, that would not necessarily mean a lower reproductive viability for the species as a whole - indeed, it could mean a higher viability.

I do agree that the young should be educated as to these ("alternative" I'd have to disagree) lifestyles, but without the overtones of moral disapproval that seems all-too rife from some in this thread.

Your final sentence seems at odds with the rest of your post. I'd say they should be treated as normally as anyone else - no distinction whatsoever. Certainly, not that they'd be viewed as abnormal. That would be to grant "special" status indeed...

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/668167

Current views, December 2012, respectable journal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"To be honest I feel sorry for anybody who is homosexual, it is a very difficult road that they have embarked upon and I don't believe anybody would willingly choose that particular lifestyle, therefore I don't think choice is involved"

And there I was, thinking that you might be relied upon to have an enlightened attitude about this.

Gay people don't 'embark' on being gay - you said yourself that it's a matter of genetics, and there you are, in the next paragraph, contradicting yourself.

Difficult as you might find it to understand, there are tens of millions of people (perhaps hundred of millions)who are delighted to be gay. It's their natural state of sexuality. I know that lots of people find the whole subject distasteful, but that's something they have to deal with. An enlightened society understands that being gay is a natural human condition, one that has been with us since homo-sapiens first walked the earth. Young people should be educated to understand that, and not the ridiculous, uninformed claptrap that I'm seeing in some of the posts in this thread.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

bjh.

An interesting highly technical article, which posits theory's regarding the causes of homosexuality. You wont get an argument from me regarding children being born homosexual, as I believe as I have already stated that they are.

The article seems to say that no direct genetic linkage to homosexuality has been found but that in certain cases this may be a reason? Obviously more research is necessary.

I consider homosexuality to not be normal because as I have already stated male and female animals are born with reproductive organs to enable the male to impregnate the female to enable the birth of offspring to continue the species! Two males or two females cannot carry out this most basic reproductive function!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

"And there I was, thinking that you might be relied upon to have an enlightened attitude about this."

Sorry to disappoint as usual, :-) Perhaps I used the wrong choice of words when I said "embark upon" I did not intend to mean that I thought that homosexuality was a lifestyle choice, I don't! There is no choice involved, I believe homosexuals are born that way.

What I meant was, that homosexuality is not an easy condition to live with, and that nobody would willingly choose to be homosexual as opposed to being heterosexual because of the still prevalent hostility towards homosexuality that still pervades society.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I agree with Flak999 about homosexuality being a difficult lifestyle.

I have met many homosexuals and totally disagree with FE's sweeping statement that many millions are happy to be gay. Many I have met have very unfulfilling lifestyles, shallow and impulsive relationships often very furtive which leads to more unhappiness (yes I know that is not limited to gay relationships) but it seems more prevalent. Some have admitted to me that they would prefer a normal relationship but it just isn't for them. I have noticed an alarming number of suicides due to deep unhappiness and loneliness. I read a report where 73% of psychiatrists say homosexuals are less happy than the average person, and of those psychiatrists, 70% say that the unhappiness is NOT due to social stigmatization. This coupled with the high prevalence of alcoholism, drug abuse and other well documented health issues confirms that the lifestyle should not be promoted as "normal" to our young.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"What I meant was, that homosexuality is not an easy condition to live with, and that nobody would willingly choose to be homosexual as opposed to being heterosexual because of the still prevalent hostility towards homosexuality that still pervades society."

If that's what you meant to say I find less to disagree with. Homosexuals are better accepted by society now than at any time in the past - due mainly to better education leading to increased enlightenment. The key is education; as more people realise that homosexuality is nothing to be afraid of (contrary to what A194 believes) there will be an even greater degree of acceptance. Gay people don't pose any threat to society, but bigotry and prejudice do.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Perfectly normal behaviour throughout the animal kingdom, mammals, birds and reptiles alike!

Darwin suggested that sexual arousal was for heterosexuals to reproduce, modern studies however have shown that both male/male and female/female pair bonding is very wide spread.

I photographed a same sex legal ceremony and the following reception, met a lot of very nice people, both of the heterosexual and homosexual varieties, they all looked liked people to me! one of the nicest "weddings" I have been too.

It is a real shame to know that "different" people in life can be attacked/abused/hated/feared for their beliefs and life style choices, I have long hair and tattoos, I get quite a few folk find it OK to voice their opinions or dislike of these, odd as I really don't have a problem that they have short hair or wear a suit etc.

Unfortunately it will take along time for mankind to learn to be less disparaging of each other.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Gay people don't pose any threat to society

Here we can agree! (phew!) But it is the vociferous minority within the homosexual community (Peter Tatchell et-al) that draw unwanted attention to issues which others find very contentious (homosexual marriage)

As an atheist I personally have no problem where anybody gets married, particularly in a religious sense. But I can acknowledge that those who do have a religious belief find the idea a step to far. You either believe that the bible, Koran et-al is the word of that particular God or you don't.

That is why homosexual marriage is such a contentious issue.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone