We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

woodchip

"...but homosexuality is learned"

What a ridiculous, misinformed statement.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 1

FE, of course some young people experiment with their sexuality and no I not have an extremely sheltered life.

My point is the even more may be tempted to experiment because of the message being sent out these days. Children will emulate role models and as more and more story lines appear around homosexual characters and more "camp" presenters appear this is surely an unacceptable risk.

Visits to vulnerable young people with a view to actively promoting practises that could lead to sodomy lead me to question the motives behind such actions.

I note you state that it is perfectly normal to be gay. There is nothing normal about it. Normality is the union between the two genders - nothing else. Anything other than that is not normal - it is abnormal - some would call it perverse.

I am not "gay bashing" I accept that if that is how many want to live, it is their choice and I respect that but I am increasingly uncomfortable with the "in your face" promotion of the lifestyle that is becoming increasingly hard to avoid.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Yes fourm member, some would describe how gay men pleasure each other as perverse.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

Disappointing to see that some forum members have such an ill-informed and backward looking attitude to homosexuality.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

So this is the way forward is it?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/50616/bbc-needs-more-gay-hosts-and-less-homophobia

Smacks to me of an attack on heterosexuality.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Some of the posts on here make absolutely clear the essential need for the role Sir Ian McKellen is undertaking.

Homosexuality is not learned, there is nothing "wrong" or "abnormal" about it, and it is not "perverted". The fact it doesn't agree with some peoples' own prejudiced view is a matter for them to deal with, and not a matter for others to have to / try to conform to such narrow views.

Such terms are easy to bandy around when one believes one knows what is right, normal and moral - except one has self-determined the remit of those terms in doing so.

There is a rather unpleasant element of such trenchant prejudice being exhibited currently in Tory backbenches and, as so often, the good old Church of England. I am sorely disappointed that either group are seen by some as having any moral authority on such matters.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 1

*"I accept that if that is how many want to live, it is their choice" *

No it isn't a choice - it's a fact. If you were born gay then you are gay.

Well said Mr Mistoffelees

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm a bit old-fashioned. All this public 'tittle-tattle' talk about people's sexuality is sadly getting overplayed. Common sense tells me that if 2 consenting adults want to be in a serious 'relationship' of whatever 'flavour' then that's ok. But I do not favour the projects the like's of which Sir Ian has embarked upon.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Al94

Fair play to you for starting this thread, it's a very contentious issue that's for sure. I'm glad you decided to stick your head above the parapet on this one and not me! How long it's allowed to run for is very debatable in itself.

My view on homosexuality is that it is a genetic or chromosomal condition present at birth. One does not choose to become a homosexual, you are born that way. It is not normal, it is abnormal. All animals are born with sexual organs to enable the procreation of young to increase the species, it is patently obvious that if homosexuality were the norm the human species would eventually die out.

To be honest I feel sorry for anybody who is homosexual, it is a very difficult road that they have embarked upon and I don't believe anybody would willingly choose that particular lifestyle, therefore I don't think choice is involved, it is as uncontrollable an urge for homosexuals as heterosexuality is for the majority of the population.

I think that these alternative lifestyles should be explained to young people, but they should not be told they are normal because they are not. It is of course wrong to persecute somebody for their sexuality and so long as homosexuals live according to the law they should be afforded the same rights and responsibilities as the rest of us.

What they should not receive however, is any special standing or status in society.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"My point is the even more may be tempted to experiment because of the message being sent out these days. Children will emulate role models and as more and more story lines appear around homosexual characters and more "camp" presenters appear this is surely an unacceptable risk."

So what if some young people are "tempted to experiment" - what's wrong with that?

"as more and more story lines appear around homosexual characters and more "camp" presenters appear this is surely an unacceptable risk."**

An unacceptable risk of what?

I'm finding it more and more difficult to grasp the fact that in the 21st century there are still people around who are so prejudiced and ignorant that they actually believe there's something wrong with being gay, and that there's an 'unacceptable risk' attached to educating schoolchildren about the facts, rather than allowing them to develop the same appalling prejudices.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...